Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drove a Ricer for the first time...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Jimmy, Apr 8, 2003.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Stepson is in Djibouti so we've got custody of his Subaru Impreza...

Big 'O Wing, Centerforce Clutch (5" I think), Grapefruit shooter, etc....it's AWD w/Z rated tires...

I live off a very smooth and very curvy Farm road...after ya get used to the clutch and the Very Short throw shifter...I run it down the road a few miles to get it warm and charge up the battery...and thinkin' it Sticks pretty good...

So I dial it up a bit...tachin' a little higher and poppin' the shifts and hangin' the curves a bit....thinkin' it Sticks really good...

So in an area I can see really well, I lay into this thing...This Lil Sumbitch will SCOOT...sorta like a Gokart on Steroids...I had a Great time...

I'd Never actually pay money for one of these...and it ain't nuthin' like the Vette....ain't nuthin' like the Wife's Altima either...but it was fun in a Six Flags kinda way...now he wants us to sell it for him and I don't wanna have to deal with the type of people this thing will attract, so we told him to get his Dad to do it...hehehe... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BY the way....He Loves my K5, so he ain't completely ruint...

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Thats the only ricer Id even consider buying. I think there awesome. I was sittin at work Saturday and a Mustang GT and a WRX raced, the WRX killed the GT.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...but it was fun in a Six Flags kinda way

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I know what you mean.

I wouldn't consider my friend's car a "ricer," but it is foreign and it is FAST. He's got a '95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (twin turbo, 6 speed manual, all-wheel drive, ALL WHEEL STEERING, a button that changes the exhaust note, a button that firms up/softens suspension, and a spoiler up front and wing out back that lower/raise when you reach 45mph. - ALL OF THIS ON A STOCK VEHICLE). I must say, it's an awesome car, and it is so fast and powerful it's kinda scary.

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the WRX is an impressive little car. my friend has one, and he slammed me into the back of the passenger seat with the gas pedal... quite a fun little gokart, although as he put it, its too bad it doesn't have more Ground clearance... it'd be hella fun offroad, and not just dirt roads. the AWD system in those things is quite impressive.

-Rich

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My brother has a WRX he dumped a few grand into around Christmas in perf upgrades, exhaust, turbo timer, computer, pulleys, suspension, ETC. Its a blast to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Launches like its been rear ended by a train, corners like its on a slot car track, and stops damn impressive too. Whats funny is when he gets out of it, sets the alarm and walks away and its still running till the turbo cools, then it auto shuts down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'd drive a WRX, Not really as a daily driver but for the hell-of-it. I have an 87 fiero GT and scoots along really well. I have rode in but not drove the impreza but would not decline a good deal on one if I had the money. They look pretty good (stock WRX in silver with the dark grey interior and the big rallye lights out front), a little perf stuff and the SOOB's AWD. I like it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's real fun to watch the WRXs race at the dragstrip, they can beat a late model LS1 F-body quite handily if they are launched correctly. Apparantly the correct way to launch in a WRX is to tach it to about 6000RPM and sidestep the clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The little suckers just TAKE OFF. By the end of the 1/4 mile a stock Z28 is just getting it's legs and is catching up. Unfortunatly only about 1 out of the 15 WRXs that were at the strip that day had a driver that wasn't afraid to launch the car. The rest of them were pansies about it. The dude that was launching it whooped a poorly driven C5, that was pretty interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, those WRXs had to be modded. An LS1 will hand a stock WRX its ass in the quarter. Hell, I ran neck and neck with one on the highway. They kick ass off of the line, but they suck in the top. That is why they kick ass in the 1/8th, but the 1/4 they are just ok. With a few cheap mods, they kick some serious ass, though.

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Subis kick arse! I would not mind having one. Yeah alot of those import type cars arent all that bad. I drive my bro Ford Focus all the time (its a rebadged Mazda 5) and it is great, gets awsome milage will smoke the tires in 3 gears and bark em in 4th and is realy smooth and hugs the road.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I like your sig:

[ QUOTE ]
    1980 luv, 1.8L, 4speed, 4x4, 8bolt IFS, 10bolt,4:10, 27.5" M/Ts, busted in mud...
    1982 F-150, 4.9L, np 435, np 208, d44TTB, 9", 3.00, 33" TSLs, not running...

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a ford that was not running for a while, too... Hardest vehicle I ever sold...

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ricer's/Foreign cars aren't all bad. I had a 2000 Maxima SE and that thing flew.

I sold it as I need a plow rig/tow vehicle. Great mileage, and snappy throttle, but still nothing like the 80 K20. It is true what they say.....there is not replacement for displacement (more specifically torque). The Maxima could smoke it's tire pretty good, but the truck will spin 35's (locked rear) with no trouble (I would like to see the ricer's do that without turbo or NOS).

Each has their place, and I have/had fun with both.....

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Can you explain "side-stepping" a clutch to me, being that I don't know since I mainly drive an auto?
    I can drive a manual really well (and do every summer when my Dad brings out our Triumph Spitfire /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif), but I don't know the lingo very well. Thanks.
    Oh, and what's "double-clutching?" I think I heard that one on The Fast and the Furious. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you gotta love a vehicle that has a rear diff guard as a factory option... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you explain "side-stepping" a clutch to me, being that I don't know since I mainly drive an auto?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where you rev the $hit out of something and slip your foot off the clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double clutching is usually used on semis. You step on the clutch, put it in neutral, rev the engine, hit the clutch again, and downshift. It's a lot easier on parts. I suppose you could do it on the way up too. Not really necessary on a synchronized transmission or anything high performance, unless they're thinking of a different double clutching than I am.

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and what's "double-clutching?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the Old Days of "Three on the Tree", trannys weren't synchronized...in order to not miss a shift and tear up parts, the clutch was released in neutral when you shifted up or down...I think it actually originated in the "Big Rig" of the day...I remember travelling as a kid when 10 wheels were all you'd see on a "Mack" truck...

In later trannys 2nd and 3rd were synchro and in 68 or 69 I think it was Pontiac Synchronized 1st gear...don't know when 4spd went all synchro...I delivered Pizza in a 37 Buick when I was in HS that was not synchronized..

releasing the clutch when you hit neutral brought everything up to the same speed in the tranny allowing the gears to slide and mesh properly...I remember many weekends spent replacing "brass and bearings" in 3spd trannys with guys in HS...

I have no clue whatsoever why anyone would double clutch a ricer...I believe that Formula 1 cars are non-synchro but I don't know why... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I assume to keep the revs up so you're in the power band when you come into the next gear.
    Could be wrong though.

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Double clutching is usually used on semis. You step on the clutch, put it in neutral, rev the engine, hit the clutch again, and downshift. It's a lot easier on parts. I suppose you could do it on the way up too.

[/ QUOTE ]double clutching for an upshift wouldn't really work... you'd have to wait for the transmission/engine speed drop to the lower RPM range where you could perform the shift. when you upshift, you take the engine from say 2800 RPM,and have to get it to drop to say 1600 RPM... if you wanted to downshift, its easier on all the parts if you rev the engine a little higher then where you need for the transmission to be spinning at and then slip it into gear when it comes back down to the proper speed. helps save the syncros, and prevent gear grinding. I used to doubleclutch my SM465 when I had that. of course, I also ignored the damn clutch more often then not too... use it to get started, and slip shift the rest of the way.

-Rich

18. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Not to many people on here know this but I have my own Ricer style car It is a 97 CAVALIER all ricered out.
    I was into that stuff befor i bought my truck,now it is just my DD/gas getter. I love my truck and wouldn't get rid of it for anything, but sometimes it is just fun to go realy realy fast. I can't do that in the truck because it is so big, but after driving the car it is like, I'm sitting to low to the ground and i need to get in the truck and make some noise /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    With gas prices going up and the truck beeing broaken all the time I like having the car around, geting 35MPG while roding the piss out of it is nice too. The truck gets such bad gas miledge that i hate to drive it too much/All though it isn't as bad as when i first got it, the first week i had it I drove everywere WFO I was puting 2 tanks of gas in it a day That lasted about 4 days then i was broke so i had to slow down a bit.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Shaggy, those WRXs had to be modded. An LS1 will hand a stock WRX its ass in the quarter. Hell, I ran neck and neck with one on the highway. They kick ass off of the line, but they suck in the top. That is why they kick ass in the 1/8th, but the 1/4 they are just ok. With a few cheap mods, they kick some serious ass, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Well, since 90% of the people that go to this track couldn't drive their way out of a one car garage, that probably explains it. Notice that I said the WRXs were beating them when properly launched. Most of the guys are just oo gentle on the cars, and the ones in the Z28s were mostly just too easy on them or maybe had the traction control on? The WRXs may have been modded, but it was fun to watch either way. </font>

20. chevy4x4boy

chevy4x4boy Registered Member

yea those wrxs are pretty fast. i'm thinkin about buyin one but i would never sell my k5. there are a couple of guys that i know that have them and they all love em to death. and they last forever too.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifCIVICSLAYER