Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drove it home after rollover!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_87K5, Jun 26, 2000.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

This is a photo of my '85 after I drove it over a 30 ft dropoff (never saw it coming) and it nosed over hard. We logrolled it upright (another big thud) using a '77 K5. Jacked the roof up and tore the remaining chunks of the fiberglass off. Drove it home about 300 mi noproblemo. Click to view: http://www.geocities.com/tneg50/WOOPS_squish.jpg

SteveB

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Cheeeeerist man! tell us your kidding. Glad noone was hurt.

3. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Here is the picture.
    [​IMG]
    Wasn't 300 miles hard on the eyes, with no windshield?

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://jeff427.coloradok5.com

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Whoa! Man! [​IMG] That's one helluva rollover!

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

Ouch is all I have to say... Glad no one was hurt...

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

look at the good side now you have a full toper in the makeing glad no one was hurt and I dont know how you pulled that off

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

That's a liiitttlle bit harder than my roll over.......glad your okay.....now you get to chop 'da top! Where are those dunes at?? Same thing happened to someone in my 4wd club @ silverlake last year. They went a little too fast over exit hill...got some air...got scared & slammed the brakes on in the air...and 20 feet later when they came down they nose dived & landed on the roof...if they hadn't have put the brakes on they would have been ok, but it was a tj or yj...or something j, so it had all those rollbars...so everyone was okay.....needless to say they didn't want to be in the 4wd club anymore....oh yeah, she drives a fullsize x-cab dually dodge now

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    OUT FRIGGIN S T A N D I N G ! ! ! ! ! !

Just wonderin Steve, where are you located? I see you live in NC, is that where the pic was taken? I don't know of any beaches with dunes that big that we can drive on here in NC. If so, please let me know.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. Steve_87K5

I was very lucky. The roof came down to steering wheel and was stopped by a Volvo headrest. I had 100+ gal of gas in the back which did not leak. I think I was messing with the GPS when I went over. It was about noon time so there were no shadows to help see variations. Found a rear clip from an '83 to fix it. RF fender and hood were OK. It happened in RubAlKhali desert a few years ago, at about N22E49. I have full cage in my '87 with Stroth harness.....and same Volvo seat!

SteveB

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYEEEEHAWWWWW
    Dam dude kida reminds me of the time I "didn't see it comming" at Pismo Dumes!! But I just tiped it up on it's side and didn't do a roll, fewwww glad I didn't even more now that I saw that pic!!!
    Let us know where you wheer!!!
    Late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

phuq me. how did you live?

Brian

12. Steve_87K5

I remember putting my hands on the roof on the way down and feeling the sheetmetal come at me. My driver window was down so I slithered out OK even though window frame was kinked to a heart shape. Spilled all the ice out of my cooler too! Once the rollover had stopped I had to reach UP and shut off Stevie Ray who was still blastin' (Crossfire I think). Walt (in a 79K5 behind me) said he saw my undercarriage go over and he knew it wasn't good. SteveK was in a 78K5/w/Holley ProJection behind Walt, and after we cleaned up all the crap that flew out (side glass power-popped out about 15 feet) he hooked on a strap and rolled my K5 like a log, to put the rubber down. We made camp, and against my wishes we drove back home next morning.
    All Blazers should have roll bar over driver because the stock body is very weak.

SteveB

13. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

WOW man! That is really intense. When I rolled my Cruiser, it was really slow, almost surreal. I drove it home as well, once I got it back on its wheels. I still get that "empty stomach" feeling thinking about it. Nobody got so much as a scratch, which is good. Rollbars work! [​IMG]

14. Steve_87K5

I had a '77 FJ43 ragtop before I got my first K5, and the rollbar was the first add on. I felt safer in the big K5 after bouncing around in that FJ43 for 4 years with the roof and doors flapping...but it was a false sense of security. I'd attach a pic of FJ43 but...this is a C H E V Y forum!!!

SteveB

15. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Your k5... looks alot worse than my dads rollover and he had a fractured leg, broken ankle, and a concusion... the best part of the whole thing is they found cancer in his leg and where able to remove it with out any problems. It was melanoma (sorry about my terrible spelling) and he had it so bad they took it out before they did anything with his leg...so I guess thats the only good thing about his wreck.

Your lucky you didn't get hurt! Glad you weren't and I hope you can fix your k5...

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

16. Steve_87K5

sorry about your Dad but it was a good outcome to find out. My neck was snapped over and it still sounds like popcorn when I move it. I found a donor '83 body (rear clip) and welded it on with help from friends, and it looked great.
    I was impresed that the K5 was built well enough to be driven back after a roll.

SteveB