Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drove my truck for the first time in 3 years... (and a pic with 42s)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I drove the truck around the block today for the first time in forever... 33s and 5.13s really make the thing get up and move! Of course, I pulled into the garage in 3rd gear since the first two are prety useless until the 42s are on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I just had to share; I've been pretty quiet about the progress I've been making on it, but it's getting real close to being finished now. I also test fitted the 42s today and it looks pretty cool, although the tires look kinda small now. I guess staring at them sitting in the backyard for the last 6 months has made me get used to them. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif</font>

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Drove my truck for the first time in 3 years...

Cool...but I have to say,
    [ QUOTE ]
    I also test fitted the 42s today and it looks pretty cool

[/ QUOTE ] you tell us that, but don't show us pics! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Whoops, sorry... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>

[​IMG]

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Whatcha got going for a door handle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Very nice Shaggy! wanna come up and do mine? hint/hint /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so you don't spend all your time on the internet...very nice. do show more.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Whatcha got going for a door handle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> When I took the door handles off to paint the truck they basically fell apart in my hands. I'm getting another pair from another guy in NCBD, I'm just waiting for my brother to get over to pick them up.

Tony - nope, I don't spend all my time on the internet. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've been spending alot of time working on my junk, I got laid off about 6 weeks ago so I've had alot of time to work on it. The paint took forever, I got real discouraged with it about 4 weeks into the job. It was in such bad shape everywhere except for the hood that it had to go down to metal, through the original paint, a repaint and then flat black that someone had put on below the beltlike on it. I just shot the color on to it last week. </font>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sweet...another shortbox!! I love mine, just got it going after almost a year on Thursday.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is bitchin Evan!!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry to hear about your job, that sucks!

Rene

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That looks really Awesome Shaggy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif What did you use to spray your truck with? Doesn't look like a rattle can job. I also like the hummer rims with the silver color on the inset and black lock ring. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Lookin' sweet Evan! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It is always nice to finally drive your truck after working on it for so long! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Very nice shaggy, ypu have been busy too! Also I have brakes now, thanks for your help on every thing else too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Very nice fender cutting!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What lift are you running Shaggy? My K5 with a 2" Skyjacker kit fit 35"s with just a small trim of the rear fender lip on the front fenders. I put a 2" body lift on it since then so I am thinking I could fit 37"s with a little more trimming. But...I want to go bigger than that, to 38"s or 39.5"s or even 42"s /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so my fender trimming is going to have to be a little more extreme. Your fenders look great. I was thinking about sectioning my fronts to the same size or a little larger than the rears and running 39.5's. I saw a K5 or a 'Burb in a mag once that had sectioned the front fenders. The had the stock lips, lines, and angles... only bigger than stock by 2 or 3 inches. I'm too big of a wuss /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif to do a complete radius job like yours on my rear openings since they are still is really good shape. Whatta you guys think about sectioning? I have the tools and a lot of the skills to do it, so who knows...it could be cool.
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Eric - I used a paint brand called "Zero-Rust", it went on real nice. I used a spray gun that I keep around for this kind of thing, SO much faster and smoother than a rattle can. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Steelsoldiers - The lift is 6" Superlift springs front and rear, but they've sagged out a bit. The front also has a zero rate that's pushing the axle 1.5" forward, the rear has some 2" blocks that bolt to the spring packs. It measures out to about 7" total lift when you account for the saggy springs. THe fenders where cut by a fellow CK5 member, WIllyswanter. He came up and used his Plasma cutter to zap through them and I cleaned the cuts up with an angle grinder. FWIW, my fenders are as cut as you can go and still retain the inner fender in the front. The rear could go bigger but there's really no need, the front is where everyone has issues. Sectioning would be cool if that's what you're into, I hope you're a real good bodyman. I didn't spend too much time on stuff that's for looks like that, since the truck is just going to be beat on the rocks anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks everyone for the comments. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font>

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I don't know if I'd bother sectioning unless you have ALOT of patience (like every good bodyman should). I am reading about body work and there is alot to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Looks good dude, congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Looks good and I bet it was a rocket off the line w/ 5.13s &amp;33s. I hope you had something else to wheel in for the past 3 yrs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

19. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Evan, that looks friggin sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I hope my new project will grow up to be like yours, itll prolly take as long /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. You must be ecstatic that your truck is finally ready to go.....almost.

20. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just needs more lug nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now, all you need to add are some flat white/yellow/orange/red flames. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif