Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drpped a few pounds-what a difference!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

This weekend I did a little work on my 83 K5 project. I pulled the carpet(nasty and wet), took of the top, took of the tailgate and took of the rear bumper. I also cut the rear quarter panels almost up to under the taillights.
    I don't know exactly how much weight it is in total but it sits about 1.5 inches higher in the rear now, the truck feels lighter and my little 305 engine for sure has less trouble getting the beast up the hills now.
    Next weekend I am going to trim the front fenders, drop the front bumper and fab a winch support. My buddy is already working on shaving, Lincoln Locking and moving the spring bases on my 14 bolt. mechanically everything else is fine so I figure in a couple of weeks I will be ready to go wheeling. :D

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

losing weight is always a good thing... i did pretty much what you did, but ditched the doors also. Definitely helps 0-60 time. ;)

j

3. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you weigh your truck before you stripped it? I would like to know how much a stock K5 weights if any one knows.

later jmd

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: but where the hell are the pics :grin:

5. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

stock weights are listed for each year on http://www.coloradok5.com -- under specifications. i'm interested in what it weighs less the doors, tail gate and everything else that's been taken off..

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If I had to guess, 500 #s between the gate, top, doors, fenders (trimming plus inners up front), interior crap (carpet, insulation etc), AC system and half cab roof. I'm gonna skin the outter fenders when i narrow the front... prolly do something similar in the rear, which will be bobbed and narrowed. Of course, when the full cage goes in, all that weight will go back on. lol!

j

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Here is an old pic of mine when I put it on a diet...

[​IMG]

I figure I lost about 800 pounds. I cut and narrowed the front, skinned it out, removed the AC, cut the roof off, stripped the interior, and narrowed the rear. My suspension raised enough that I had to let the air out of the tires to get it out of the garage. I drove it in. About 2" or so.

Night and day difference wheeling! I still have some ideas to lighten it up. Right now its about 5,200 pounds with the cage and seats and stuff.

I drove right up this! (yeah right)

[​IMG]

8. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

like what seems like you got most of the eavy stuff off it already???

oh yeah and sweet rig!! :waytogo: