Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum brake replacement question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 18, 2003.

First of all, I HATE drum brakes with all their little parts and this is the last time I'm replacing the shoes before I swap in my 14BFF. With that gripe out of my system on with my question. While I was putting the shoes back on I accidently knocked one of the pistons of the wheel cylinder out a little bit - not all the way out but enough so that some brake fluid came out. Since I don't know the inner workings of the wheel cylinder and these are the brakes, I was wondering if I damaged the wheel cylinder at all or if it will leak in the future. I know I'll have to bleed that side, but other than that what should I do?

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Probably not. I've done this a few times while messing with drum brakes and never have had one problem.

2. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

you should be fine, just make sure that the boot is tight all around the cyl. & it shouldn't leak /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

drum brakes are teh devil /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. That's kind of what I thought, thanks for the reassurance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif After bleeding it and cleaning the wheel cylinder off good I put the drum back on and tested it out ... no leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif