Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum brake spring trick?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rampage, May 23, 2002.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Besides fighting with the springs and cussing the whole time, what trick do you use to take the springs off and put them back on your drum brakes?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Go to Sears and buy a pair of brake spring pliers. You'll be glad you did. Makes removing and installing those springs easy! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

This is one of those tasks that the proper tools make simple.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't like the tool that looks like a big pair of pliers with a pointy end and a hooked end. The tools I like are the ones that look like a screwdriver with a cup shaped thing on the end, and a tool that looks like a screwdriver or rod with two ends (one end like a really narrow spoon and the other with a small cup with a tab on it).

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I never knew there was a tool for this. Got one last night and what a difference it made /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i just use speaker wire and some duckbill plyers.

7. HarryH3

There's a tool for everything! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The trick is knowing which ones you need and which ones you don't. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I use long zip ties throught the pad locating pins to hold the pads firmly in place while I put all the springs and such on and it made the job much quicker.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Can you ever have too many tools? ar, ar, ar!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. HarryH3

I used to wonder about that too. Then I saw a Kent-Moore tool catalog. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif They make all of the GM factory service tools. You know, all the little J-xxxx gadgets that they show in the factory service manuals. I'd have to have another garage just to keep 'em all in. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif But a lot of them aren't really required unless you fix vehicles for a living. I can install a wheel seal just fine without a $50 seal installation tool. It probably takes me 10 seconds longer, but then I don't have to see how many cars I get get through a bay every day. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Wheel seal tools make it easy. A friend of mine is the head mech for a large fleet of big rigs. Their seal supplier gives him the seal drivers for free. He gave me his old one and the plates for the seals on my big rig.