Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum brakes on a Disc brake truck? help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Getting a front axle for practically nothing, right gear ratio and recently rebuilt just its Drum brakes. I know loss of breaking power please don't start going off about that, just want to know will there be a problem with puting a drum brake axle where discs were? I mean like between the proportioning valve and all will my braking be screwed up?

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if it's drum brakes it's probably a closed knuckel and they are no strong than a 44 or 10

are you sure this is the axle you want?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it is a dana 44, and it isn't what I want its what I can afford. I don't plan any hard wheeling soon but I need to replace both of my axles(front is bent and rear is leaking as well as HORRIBLE gear ratio), this is a cheap 8 lug front axle I can get for now.

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Wheel cylinders on drum brakes need a little bit of pressure on them all the time so their seals don't leak. Another problem is disc brakes use alot more volume than drum, so they would be grab sooner and firmer.

Another problem that might occur is the rear brakes may never come on. The rear brakes need a certain amount of psi to be activated and being that the front brakes will have so much volume, the rear may never get this pressure.

I think the overall effect would be leaking wheel cylinders, and very, very touchy brakes.

All this information is just what i'm thinking. I recently converted the rear to disc's so you are having the exact opposite problems that we have had.

I've got a 8 lug 10 bolt for sale with all new parts on it!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

everyone has an 8 lug 10 bolt for sale that I would buy up if it wasn't that everyone is in texas or out west where I can't get them shipped cheap. Not gonna pay $300 for a front axle at a yard when its just a 10 bolt. Hmm, see the pressure to the front grabbing too hard and rear not getting pressure is exactly why I asked about this its what worries me. Would be great for power braking but thats all.