Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drum brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i have one sticking

any tips or diagrams for taking it apart to see what the deal is?

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my truck seems to do this if it sits for a few days or more, just stopping , putting it in reverse and stopping a couple times and it seems to go away, or after driving it a little, not sure why it does it never botherd to try, but theres not much to them, just take the drum of and look simple as that, maybe a spring came loose or broke, w/e..might need a couple special tools like a spring tool or whatnot

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The parking brake cable could be sticking, or could be (as you said) be a broken brake shoe return spring. It might be that the backing plates have grooves wore into the backing plate pads that the shoes rest against. You will not know until you get it apart.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

around turns it grabs and shakes the truck

i tried backing up and stopping, it did it again right after i pulled off from doing that

ill get her apart tomorrow and check for sure

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea, when my truck does this it shakes the whole truck somethin wicked , and pulls to the side real hard, maybe its a front caliper come to think of it .. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what year truck ? after 70 ? or before 70 ? front or rear ?

if a drum is grabbing bad and maybe evne locking up then it might bne fluid soaked into brake shoes material, leaking wheel cylinder or axle seal

if its a front drum doing it then its probably cuz the both fronts are not adjusted out to close enough to the same so that one is braking before the other, and that is what would cause a bad pull to one side when braking

its pretty straightforward ot take apart drum brakes, you just need pliers to take apart rears,

if are fronts then you need tools to unbolt the hubs that the drums ride on

most of the time you have ot back off the shoes so that the drum will evne slid eoff the shoes, this is the real fun part, and alot of the times none of the adjustment access knockouts are knocked out and open, so you have to find them, sometimes they are on the face of the drum and sometimes they are just in the backplate, or both.