Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum Lifter???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, May 8, 2006.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where to get a clamp to lift up like 55 gallon drums? Or even what the correct name of them is? They are small, way maybe 15lbs and kind of pinch the lip of the drum for hoisting it up.

We need to get a few but cant find any 'basic' ones, they are all high tech crap and dont work for sheeiiit or they cost too much. Looking for something like this:

DRUM LIFT 002.jpg

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Chain is cheap and simple.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

huh?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

We saw those, but really like the one I pictured. Its very easy and quick and gets the job done. Not sure if they even make them like that anymore.

Used the ones like you pictures and didnt care for them. They are used for hooking onto the end of the boom on the truck and loading/unloading barrels of pig, beef, & animal guts and barrels of feed.:D

Grab the line, pinch it on the barrel and pick it up. Quick and easy. The other ones you have to have tension on them to hold. Thats whats nice about these older ones, once there clamped on, they are on, wether there is slack in the line or not.

Does that make any sense?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, makes sense to me. I only posted because i have used the sling like i posted and it worked great but like you said there does need to have tension on it to stay put.

Like you said, they probably stopped making the style you posted. Makes you wonder why they stop making things that worked so good. Todays stuff is pure crap and don't work for sh*t.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks!! Keep 'em coming!!!

Why the hell are the so much $$$$$$???

This one was $20 from some old guy. Its just plain ol' steel, not some tough space age alloy or something.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  12. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

well, it does look like it's over 20 yrs old.

I'll double check with our parts inventory controller and see if there are anymore industrial suppliers' catalogs that I haven't seen yet.

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Lifting devices get expensive mainly due to being over designed for a good safety factor. Unless its made it China its not going to be cheap anymore either. I mainly work around and design automated equipment so everything we use is gonna be on the expensive side.

14. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

those are called "Dogs", atleast thats what we called them at the steel company I used to run a crane at. it was a 10 ton ride in gantry crane and I had two trollies with chanes hanging from each trolly. if we had to move just 1 "I" beam the hook tenders would put the "dogs" on the flange of the steel and I could lift the piece of steel with them placed either on the horizontal (width) portion or on the verticle flange. if it was the horizontal part we would hook 2 on one end and 1 on the other end. but if it was a long thin I beam we would go in about 1/4 the length of the beam in from the ends and use the verticle flange instead, otherwise it would bow so much in the middle I could not make it over the other stacks of steel.