Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum Pedal Positioning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

As you all remember, I recently got my double-pedals.

Now I need some input from 89GMCSuburban and the other drummers on here on positioning the left pedal. Currently I've got the left pedal and hi-hat set up very close to what you see here, and now the hi-hat is too far away for my likes and I'm having to reach such that now after just a few minutes of playing my right arm and shoulder are sore from reaching.

Any ideas on things I can try, or pics to show how some of you other guys have yours set up?

2. gauder

gauder Banned

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

That looks neat, but instead I'd rather have one of InuYasha wailing away on a full kit or maybe just a snare more likely, so that would have to be a completely custom job, and I don't have the art skills to draw the design. So instead, I'd just settle for a shirt with this design:

InuYasha & Buyo the cat

Dog boy and a cat hanging together! It'd have to be custom made too, but the design already exists at least!

Anyway, getting back on topic, I just came up with something I'm going to try. And that's pivoting the left pedal around to the right toward the legs of the snare stand, and see if that enables me to move the hi-hat a little closer. May also stop by today too at the local music shop and see if I can get a drumkey that's more akin to a torque-wrench instead of a key so I can torque up the screws on the pedals real good instead of just tightening them.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The higher end hi-hat stands let you move the pedal left and right compared to the legs so you can jam a pedal in next to it. I'm not sure if your stand allows you to do that, but my Pearl stand does.

When I had a hi-hat stand that didn't do that, I loosend the screw that holds the pedal in it's place enough to let it move left and right a little. That let me have enough room to put in the bass pedal.

The key is, get your feet comfortable with the double pedals first, then position the hi hat stand. Get that nailed and you'll be in good shape. Maybe I can get a pic of my setup for you....

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Nah, that won't be necessary. I've pivoted the left pedal/hi-hat cluster around to where the left pedal's butted up against the bottom of the snare stand and the bottom of the hi-hat pedal's against the left-pedal with the top angled slightly away.

Having them close like that has allowed me to come up with a playing technique that'll allow me to play both at the same time. It's a kind of heel-toe technique where I have the toes and ball of my left foot resting on the hi-hat pedal with the heel over and resting a tad on the left-bass pedal. Anytime I want a bass kick with the left pedal all I have to do is drop my heel while keeping pressure on the hi-hat pedal with my toes to keep the hi-hat closed when I want to keep it closed. I've spent some time on it and I can get it to work cause I tried playing a few constant closed-hat beats and was able to keep the hat closed when I put in double-bass triplets while still playing the hi-hat. Now I just need to work on smoothing it and integrating it into my playing.