Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum Retuning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I have now done some modifying to my drumkit that's made it sound BAD and awesome! Mother gave me some electronic music magazine yesterday that had a detailed article on John Bonham of Led Zeppelin as well as detailed info on how he set up his drumkits to get his thundering sound, so this morning I spent some time working on retuning the bass drum and my toms to try and get my kit to sound like his.

I succeeded on getting the bass drum to sound similar to what I hear on most of Zeppelin's recordings, so it now sounds big, huge, and ready to blast you out of the room. The toms were another matter. The toms have still got the original heads on them the drumkit came with, so it's safe to say that they're shot and about had it. So I'm going to be buying some more heads for them then soon. (The heads are the parts of the drums you actually pound on with the drumsticks.)

BTW, I'm finally back online again after Verizon took all night and part of today to fix a DSL outage that had me offline.

2. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I’ve used Remo’s clear Pinstripe heads on the batter side for years and still love their sound. I tune low, just right at the point when the head is just tight enough to resonate and the heads give it a fat sound without the overtones others may give you.

While you’re experimenting try out one of Aquarian’s skins on you’re kick drum. That’s another one I’ve been stuck on for a while because they make it sound like you’ve got a mic on that thing.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Okay, I'll try that. Batter head on the kick's finally starting to show some wear anyway. The batter head I recently put on my snare drum is an Aquarian.

Think the reason I was able to get my kick to sound almost exactly like what Bonzo's sounds like on Led Zep's recordings is because my kick's fairly close in size to what he used. Bonzo used a 26" X 14" kick, while mine measures in at 22" X 16". What it lacks in diameter is being made up by more depth I think.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I use Evans G2 heads. Evans EQ3 on the bass drum with the muffle pillow they have. Evans are actually made by D'Addario, and anyone with any guitar experience, knows their stuff rocks. The bass drum heads are 4 years old and if you take them off, they STILL have tone to them.

Everyone used to ask me gow I tune my bass drum 'cause its that low tone with some click (Metallica And Justice for All bass drum sound, maybe with some Arch Enemy turned on). Loosen the head all the way. If you have square head tuners on your bass drum, tighten the tuners as tight as you can by hand and then turn them 1/4 to 1/2 turn with the key and have fun. Do that on the front and back.

Here's my kit :
    [​IMG]

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Bonham used a real tall (wide) drum, but it was thin, probably to bring the toms closer. 26" wide drum...that's a big drum! 14" of depth isn't very deep, but you still see that in some Jazz. Mine's 22" wide and 18" deep

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

That's exactly what I wound up doing to my kick in trying to duplicate Bonzo's sound. I don't have a pic of my kit yet, cause I don't have a digital camera. I'll need to borrow one.