Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drum Stealing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

The 'Got Robbed...' topic has really got me thinking about if my drumkit could possibly be stolen. Anyway, here's the security at where I live:

3 Motion Sensing Floodlights. Two protecting carport entrance (main entrance usually), and one protecting basement aparment entrance on backside of the house. Normal front door is left locked and chained all the time. Carport entrance is locked and chained at night. Apartment entrance stays locked all the time, it's rarely used. Apartment has three windows, a venting window in the kitchen, small one in the bathroom, and the large one in the living room where the drumkit is sitting. Only the approach to the apartment kitchen window is not covered by the motion light's line of sight.

Drumkit is a five-piece kit that cost I'm guessing $1200 new, and it's in very, very good shape and still looks almost brand new. Has three cymbals and a hi-hat. Since most of it is big, awkward, and bulky, I'm guessing the dopes will take the cymbals first since they're the easiest to grab.

So, do you all think I even need to be worrying about this? Or do I need to get the grandmother thinking about even more security stuff?

EDIT - Oh, forgot to mention there's a bunch of curtains over the apartment living room window so you can't really see the drumkit within from the outside.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Holy paranoia! :D Just kidding...I dont think you have anything to worry about. Your average theif wouldnt know where to begin on taking a drum set apart. And like you said, it'd be hard to get something like that out of the door without waking someone.

PS - If your drums are in almost new condition, you're not beating them enough :D

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya need a big Dog!!! [​IMG]

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

sounds like enough to me. If you know your nieghbors all the better. If something ever does happen though look me up and let me know what yamaha set you would like and i will see what employee cost is.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry too much. The only thing would be stuff that's quick to grab, like pedals. My Tama Iron Cobra double pedals were almost $300. Those and cymbals (if they're kept in a bag). They look more for guitars and bass guitars 'cause they're easy to grab. They'd be more interested in a tv than a drumset.

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

Okay, thanks guys for alleviating my fears. Forgot to mention the room I sleep in is literally right above the room the drumkit is in. So if the dopes try to take any part of the kit, I'm more than likely going to hear them.

Church preacher lives next door, while there's a one-story office building flanking the other side of the house. The only thing I guess I might worry about thieves taking if they made it in there would be one of my brother's guitar amps that's in there so we can play. Brother is here two days a week now and has one of his guitars with him, but he keeps it in the same room he sleeps in.

7. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Hey what kind of drums do you have. I have 6 sets of Ludwig years ranging from 1958-1988. Also got a set of DW's. The theft thing is a worry usually they go for the smaller stuff and guitars and amps before they deal with the bulky drums.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

They're a set of Pearl Forum drums, bought I think in 1999. 22" X 16" Bass, I'm guessin a 14" X 8" steel shell snare, 12" X 12" and 13" X 12" rack toms, and a 16" X 18" floor tom. 20" Ride, 16" Crash, 14" Hi-hat and 12" Splash.

Just took some precautions in taking down the serial numbers off the guitar amps. Brother came up with an idea during our jam session today and was able to link both together at the same time. Helped out to where I could hear the guitar better.