Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drunk driving charges, fight them or admit defeat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Oct 19, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My dumb$hit 56 year old dad has had 2 OWI's in the last 3 years. The most recent one he got 3 weeks ago. Come to find out (I have not spoken to him in 3 years or so) he pleaded not guilty and is trying to sue the county because they would not let his new wife give him his medication during his 2 day stay in the cooler. This medication is for epilepsy and they told him he was dumb for driving drunk and taking these types of medication. Its kinda weird because he is a born again drunk. He never drank when I was growing up and now that I am 30 he is always drunk, leaves my mom,buys a Harley, and gets some skank to shack up with /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any way, he is guilty plain and simple. He blew 4 times. The first 2 didn't register but the 3rd was .01 over the legal limit and so was the 4th plus he was driving a motor cycle. I personally like to admit when I am wrong and learn from my mistakes, I think if it were me there wouldn't be a 2nd OWI.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i saw the title, and i almost went straight and started screaming- my friend was killed by a drunk driver. i have NO sympathy for most. but, if he was riding a motorcycle, and it was just 0.01 over, he might could fight it. i mean he wasn't endangering everyone else. my city, winston-salem, was the first to charge a drunk driver with murder, and we almost put him to death because he killed three girls on this 7th charge of DUI. i haev personally beat the living hell out of two people now for driving drunk. they put my life, my friends, and my family's lives at risk and it's not so hard to give your keys away BEFORE you start drinkin. sorry- i just feel very strongly about this.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am the same way i have no remorse for people who drink and drive /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif if you drink fine thats cool just don't drive. it pisses me off when people are so fawking selfish to drink and drive and put others at risk because they are dumb fawks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and it was just 0.01 over, he might could fight it. i mean he wasn't endangering everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    they put my life, my friends, and my family's lives at risk and it's not so hard to give your keys away BEFORE you start drinkin.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you use these two sentences in the same paragraph??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I would say he should just plead guilty, pay the price and thank God that he's getting off so easy.

I think drunks get off way too easy in the US. Driving while drunk easily qualifies as at least gross negligence but I tend to think of it as assault with a deadly weapon.

In my opinion, it should be a felony.

I would whole-hartedly support legislation that REQUIRES anyone convicted of driving while having a BAC over the legal limit to spend AT LEAST 6 months in jail, forfeit the vehicle (to be sold at auction unless it was stolen),lose their license for 1 year, require them to place a sign on their vehicle that clearly identifies them as a convicted drunk driver (possibly a blinking orange light on the roof to make sure the rest of us can stay out of the way) and place them on probation for 18 months after they get out of jail.

On the second offense, everything is doubled.

Third offense is their 3rd strike. Life in prison.

Considering the large number of innocent people that are killed and the huge amout of property damage caused by these yahoos who "don't endager anyone but themselves" I think that this plan is pretty light.

In a perfect world, the drunk drivers would be killed before they could kill anyone else.

[/rant off]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

a really good friend and i were driving home for thanksgiving.we were going up the on-ramp to the highway,
    a drunkdriver was coming down the on ramp
    (going the wrong way ) and hit us head on. i was
    the passenger asleep . i survived . my friend who
    was driving didnt. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i survived . my friend who
    was driving didnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about that, but I'm glad you made it.

It's pretty sad that most of us have either been involved or know somebody who was involved in an drunk driving assault like this.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. BowtieRed

the point- he was driving a MOTORCYCLE. you left that out. if you're driving a motorcycle, and you hit someone, the chances are that they'll be ok.

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

but you're still driving under the influence... shouldn't matter if you're in a semi or a moped...

10. BowtieRed

true, but my point is it's not as serious, in my opinion.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    the point- he was driving a MOTORCYCLE. you left that out. if you're driving a motorcycle, and you hit someone, the chances are that they'll be ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless it's the kid on the bike, or the senior citizen in the crosswalk. Or through the front window of the local eatery or into another biker. The reality of DUI is, the most dangerous drunk drivers aren't the ones who are falling down near unconscious drunk ones. It is the ones that are just over the limit. Why? Because they are the ones who don't realize that they are impaired. The near comatose ones drive 3 mph and run into a parked car 1 block from the bar. The ones who are just over the limit are just impaired enought to take that corner a little faster than they should, or just cross over that limit line a foot or too more than they should. Or, figure they can beat that light and accelerate when they shouldn't. They drive like someone with piss poor judgement and we've all seen what stupid drivers do. Just barely over drivers are over confident when in reality their motor skills are actually a step or two behind their normal performance. So, whether .01 over, or .10 over, DUI can kill. I'd say in this instance, the DUI father is figuring that he has nothing to lose. With a record of DUI's, he's looking at Bubba the cel mate and silent farts unless he gets lucky and beats it. Problem is, losing a jury trial for DUI can result in a serious spanking. Judges don't go light at sentencing for DUI.