Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DRW D60 to SRW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Teamstatic2001, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Anyone know where to find some SRW hubs for the front, Checked ebay and everyone wants around 400 for new ones but I don't really think I need new ones. Anyone interested in some DRW hubs.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

do a search on this, there is also the option of machining the DRW hubs to work. There is plenty of info on it.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

nothing is better then new. you can get them from any GM dealership. $160 a side and they come with rotors, studs, races, and the hub.

they may try to charge you more. $160 is my employee cost. but if you find the right parts guy you can get a deal.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The general consensus is that this is dangerous on anything but a trail only rig.

5. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

try GMPARTS $318.00 for both shipped.

6. 76zimmer

mmmm. how so? I didn't know that. :eek1:

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Duellys are trail only now??

8. 1977k5

Machining the dually wheel mounting surface is considered dangerous for street use. Using dually hubs as they are is perfectly acceptable.

Dually hubs have the mounting surface further out on the hub and some people machine that off and machine the piece I circled to use as the wheel mounting surface. There is obviously less material there and if it fails your tire will fall off.

Others take that a step further and weld metal in between each one of those "fingers" to try to make them stronger. How well that works is debatable concerning the material that is being welded to.

SRW hubs is on top, DRW hub is on bottom

srw.JPG

drw.JPG

9. Teamstatic2001

Ive heard of the dangers here, you've got the wieght of the vehicle restings on the 8 fingers intsted of a solid ring.

10. 76zimmer

Obviously someone has had a problem with them breaking....any pictures?
    Thanks for the updated info.

11. Teamstatic2001

Where is this did a google and all I could find was www.gmparts.commx i believe and it was all in spanglish.

12. ratki

ratki Registered Member

I have to ask because I've thought of this myself. Is the weight of the vehicle not truly resting on the spindle. Of course the wheels are attached to the lugs which does hold the weight, but even with the outer mounting surface isn't the weight still transfered to the inner mounting surface. I've read about rotational forces as well and wonder how the force would be any different if the wheel is mounted on the outside. If the hub doesn't twist, which it doesn't, then the twisting force must still be the same at the hub to rotor mounting surface. One more thing I wonder about, if the wheel mounting surface was brought in closer to the hub to rotor mounting point would the tension on the bolts actually be less given that the weight is closer to the lugs. I wonder how much arm is created by mounting the wheel further out on the hub? Esentially given the trucks weight more torque on the 9/16 bolts due to the longer arm. I don't want to say this is safe or not, I am truly just trying to look at some of the points.

13. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

i'm currently waiting on a set of DRW hubs to get machined for a trail rig only, any failures and i will let everyone know. until then...

in the dana 60 bible, it shows a pic of a welded ring on the 8 fingers which would increase the strength of them.

ratki-- the inner surface is for the rotor mounting only on DRW hubs, not supporting weight.

14. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey guys i just ordered mine from GMPARTSDIRECT.com for 318 shipped to my house, gonna be here tommrow!! brand new, hub/rotor/studs pressed together, just get bearings races and good to go

15. 1977k5

The full weight of the truck is applied to both the wheel mounting surface and the hub and wheel bearings.

The further out the wheel is from the wheel bearings the more force is applied to the wheel bearings, hub, etc. i.e. less backspacing (wheels that stick out more) and dually front axles put more stress on the wheel bearings and hub than their SRW counterpart.

16. 1977k5

I converted my DRW 60 to SRW. If I had to do it all over again, I would have kept the DRW 60 and run stock (not recentered) H1 double beadlocks.

17. 1977k5

I think machining DRW hubs for a trail only rig is perfectly acceptable and probably the way to go (again, for a trail only rig).

If the truck is driven on the street, I think you should buy SRW hubs. IMO, machining off the wheel mounting surface from DRW hubs and using the rotor mounts (which are not machined or designed for a wheel mounting surface) is a bad idea. Those 8 tabs have way less material than a SRW hub and although I'm not going to do any stress calculations on it, I can tell you its probably not safe (especially when you probably plan on putting big tires on it).

As for the argument about welding material in between the 8 "tabs":

If you are a really good welder, do all the right prep and lay down good welds then machine the new wheel mounting surface true, that would be an ok solution for a street driven vehicle IMO. The hubs are cast steel and you can weld to them.

The problem I have with it is this: That hub is probably 20-30 years old. It has probably had lots of grease/oil on it its whole life that has saturated into the hub. Its pretty unlikely that you will get a decent weld out of it.

Besides, once you do all of the work to cut 16 gap-filling pieces, weld them all in place and machine them true you are probably better off just buying new ones (unless you are a good machinist/welder and your time isn't worth much).

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the races are also already installed.

19. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

same here

I scored a drw 60 with 4.56 gears already in it..add some cheap stock h1's and its a bitchin set up for cheap!:D

20. ratki

ratki Registered Member

Thanks for all the input. Its nice to be able to post a question and get reasonable replies.