Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DRW to SRW.. staying with dually hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camiswelding, Sep 15, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ok Im a little confused by the posts I read on this..
    my 89 crew v3500 dually....
    can I keep the dually hub setup and convert it to SRW... by just using some specific wheels or will the track always be off and look funny..
    as I said Im confused.. which isnt the first time and wont be the last...
    thanks again to K5drager (brent) for finding me this cherry truck... good member vibes
    cam
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can run the military hummer wheels (16.5) with 7+ inches of backspacing and they look pretty much just like a SRW. That's on the front. On the rear I'm not sure if you have to run a spacer or what exactly.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

azblazor is correct on the front setup, Hummer wheels work great on them. They are 8.75" wide and have 7" of backspacing. In order to match the rear track width so you can run the Hummer wheels back there too, run a Fleetside DRW D70 with hubs from a SRW 14 bolt, you'll end up with matching track widths. A 14 bolt out of one of the big taco-truck style vans or a late model truck might work also, but I'm not positive.

4. camiswelding

ok.. I understand the hummer wheels .. and my truck has a D70 .. and it is a fleetside.. but I didnt understand about the axle shafts... convert to those???
    also... stockton wheel is accessible by me and they will build what I want (so I dont have to be in the 16.5 tire range) but I wasnt sure what specs to tell them that were right...
    so any more input is still very much appreciated

yep... when was the last time you drove and 89 k3500 c/c dually with 36k miles... oh what a feeling.. no squeaks no rattles and everything works!!! from the get go !!! I dont have to spend months figuring out and then fixing some backyard cob job....!!!!
    cam

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

To run the Hummer wheel set up there is no need for any axle mods, just bolt on the wheels and go.

FYI - if you're considering removing the dually "hips" in the rear check the bedside first, I think the wheel opening on the bedside underneath is cut out larger on a dually bed.

6. camiswelding

yes it definately has a larger opening... but then I was going to build an aluminum service body for it in SRW so.. the dually bed will go into the for sale column probably... although mint dually beds are rare..
    thanks again for the updates
    cam

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Running SRW 14 bolt hubs in the rear will make the track width match that of the 60 up front. If you just bolt the wheels on and go the rear wheels will have a narrower track, I'm not sure by how much.