Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drw to srw?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spongeidys, Mar 10, 2006.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

going to get an axel out of a chevy box van my pop picked up cause it has a rotted frame hes takeing the motor and tranny and im gonna grab what ever is worth while

i was wondering the width of most drw axels and if its worth trying to convert them to a srw?

i know most drw axels are wider than srws, but is the width in the axel itself or if you got rid of the drw hubs would it be just like a srw axel?

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dont know the answer , but why not just grab a 14 bolt?

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just take the tape measure and compare the two....That is the most reliable method, as there are several variables that can come into play....

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yeah quit being so damn lazy:rolleyes::D

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I don't know about vans.

Through '87ish, truck 14 bolts only came in one axle width, but used different hubs and brakes and mounting flanges to make the regular SRW 14BFF, and the *narrow* dually C&C.

The *wide* duallies were all D70's until the new body style in '88, at which point you could get a *wide* dually 14BFF or a D70 or god knows what.

Van 14BFFs IIRC were slightly wider, but since it's a van dually, I've no idea.

Measuring is the only way to go -- and it's not worth ALL that much as you'll have to move spring perches and/or shock mounts to go onto a Blazer or Burb... it *might* mount up to a 1-ton pickup is about it. I mean, free is the good four letter F word, but :haha:

HTH.

-- A

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The van D70 dually is the same width as the one in a pickup (74"?) but its not an HD. Spring perch spacing is ~45" which (oddly enough) fits a 77.5-97 Ford. :crazy:

Putting SRW hubs on it will make it even wider.