Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DRW wheels on SRW axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by u2slow, Jan 3, 2005.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Anyone done this?

I'm considering getting some of the stock 8-lug 19.5" DRW steelies that came on some of the P-vans. They would be going on a C30 SRW.

Are these going to clear the 13" SRW drums? (I know the 16's don't)

How about the track width? Where would the outside tire be in relation to the box sides? Any peculiarities about studs, lug nuts, or wheel centering?

2. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

On the rear axle (14 bolts anyway) are the same dually and single. They did offer 63 inch (cab and chassis) versions but yours, if it is a 14 bolt is 67 same as a dually. They ran longer studs and generally bigger diameter ones as well. Can't help on the other questions though

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a '77 Crew Cab that had a 14-Bolt SRW rear end. The previous owner had put Dually rear 16.5" rims on the back. They replaced the factory studs with ones at least 1/2" longer or more. They also had to grind down the cooling fins on the drum for the 16.5" rims to clear, but 19.5" rims probably would clear.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Um, dually 14 bolts are a different width than SRW 14 bolts. I know this, as I have one. Dig round Billavista's page

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

for this section: "The different types of 14 bolt."

So a DRW axle is 72" or so. I would think the tires would be stuffed too far in, between the crazy offset and the narrower axle.

OTOH, you could put them tires-out, i.e. with the dish part of the wheel facing out, might fit better.

-- A

5. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

not all DRW 14 bolts are 72. I just sold a truck converted to SRW from DRW-IT was 67 wms and ran the bigger studs, whatever diameter uses a 15/16 nut.also need to read there are 2 hub types.

Not the best picks but all i have

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ring Gear Diameter
    [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10.5"[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pinion diameter
    [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.750" x 30 splines[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carrier Break
    [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.10 / 4.56[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Approximate Weight
    (lbs)[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]550 with brake drums
    450 without brake drums[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Width - WMS-WMS
    (inches)[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SRW/DRW 67"
    C&C DRW 63"[/font]

Picture 168.jpg

Picture 171.jpg

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Id love to find a junked up set of p30 wheels... there arent any around here...

cam

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i dont mean to hijack, but what are the benifits to running 19.50s?

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Higher load range, MUCH better wear, better handling under load.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Excellent info :thumb:

How far did the outside tire hang out? Did the inside tire rub the box? (...if it had a pickup box.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

had an 82 chevy c20 srw crewcab with 14ff that had some old duallies all around it, and a dually bed stuck on it, wheels bolted on fine, drove great

you can do whatever with 8 lug if you have the right bed and axle width

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think a typical dually rim will fit on a front SRW axle because the extreme backspacing would cause interference with the steering and leaf springs.

On the rear 14FF, there were different versions between SRW and DRW. The guy I bought my 14FF from wanted to convert his truck from SRW to DRW but the brake drums wouldn't clear factory 16" dually rims. He showed me a regular DRW rear axle and the drums had more of a bell shaped to them for clearance.

For rear axle width differences, my cousin had two early-90's DRW Chevy trucks, both with aftermarket flatbeds on them. One had a "normal" width rear axle, basically the front tire tracked right in the middle of the rear duals. The other had a C&C width rear axle in which the front tire tracked in the same path as the inside dual.