Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dry Rot and Blow outs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sinful_Nature, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

As I was checking the pressure in my old beat up 38" TSL swampers I noticed that the dry rot is to a point that air is leaking out the sidewall (the square indented area the Swamper lettering is).

Upon seeing this I thought blow out, but not sure. I have an hours ride to reach my club's weekend adventure spot, which within an area of no cell phone service (so I can't ask them about it).

ANy feedback? Am I asking for a blow out with dry rot to the point that it is leaking out the side wall?

Thanks!

~ Russ

PS- At the moment I do not have a spare, I just upgraded to 3/4 axles and 38s.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

a spare tire is good, unless your waist size is your spair tire /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, but get a spair, worth its weight if you get a flat or, get some tire sealint in a spary can, but get lots of it, for bigger tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Sinful_Nature

Usually I do run with a spare, as I did when I had my 36s on there. A new spare is in the works, I was just wondering if Dry Rotted Swampers ever blow out (during highway travel). Can't imagine what it would be like doing 60 on the highway to have one those let go in a quick fashion. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~ Russ

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I had an 11 year old tire go out yesterday. The tread llet go like all the Firestones did. Good thing it wasn't a front tire.

tomorrow I'm going with 4 new ones, and upgrading the spare.

It's bad enough if something happens to you, but the other guy really doesn't deserve it. Although it doesn't happen anymore, we would like to think that everyone sharing the highways with us keeps their vehicle in a safe condition.

5. Sinful_Nature

Good point, the reason my rig hasn't left the driveway since.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Put some tubes In them I know it's kinda bootie fab but It works That's what I did with my 44" GROUNDHAWGS they were leaking out the side walls when I got them I put tubes in them and have been running them since with out troubles I don't take long trips or run very fast (but who does on 44" tires ) I have them back on the truck right Know (I have tsl's but I sold the rims they were on ) /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i was going to say tubes also.i had them in 3 of my tires ( got pissed at people going slow around a semi-tire carcass so i drove over it and got 3 flats), the tubes were in those 40's far almost 3 yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Sinful_Nature

I was thinking of tubes, how much flex do you lose from using them? I do alot of rock crawling at low tire pressure (although with tubes I could run it even lower, right? )

9. boggerless

you know i never thought about that back then, and i've never crawled with tubes, but how bad can it be. 1/2 apd or 3/4 a pd.whose that acurate ahyway?i do know that it saves you from buying a new tire,no radials. it will over heat in a radial.as long as the tire is not literally falling apart and you don't speed you should be strait. get new tires when you can. don't push it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. boggerless

you are not kidding about lot's of them.that crap only runs in the center of the tread, and it used to be dangerous to tire changing people(it may still be) some times they would get a spark off the rim and it would blow up. no sh*t /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. Sinful_Nature

They do sell non-flamable "fix a flat" now.

You maid a comment inregards to running a tube in a radial, which I have at the moment. Not a wise idea?

Personally I am tried of used and old beat up tires. New tires with new rims are diffently in the near future. Just need to find the doe first. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif