Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drywall tech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 22, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

in our new house a lot of the walls are different shades of PINK along with the carpet :rolleyes:

If we were to repaint the walls...they are drywall. Do I have to sand the old paint off, or do I just repaint over top? Any primer? What about chips, holes, etc in the wall. What do I do for those before I mud them up?
    I only have experience with exterior stuff :p:

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

No need to sand the paint off. For the holes and general repair, use plaster wall filler stuff.

If you are going to a lighter color than the current paint, I would recommend using a primer sealer over it first. That will make covering it much easier.

AFA equipment goes, if your going to do this and want ot make it easy on yourself, Wal-Mart sells a telescoping roller thing that sucks the paint up into the handle. It's worth the $20 for it IMO. No splatters, no dipping the roller over and over. We did a 10x12 room in less than 20 mins with it. Then it took another 30 mins to cut in the edge (1/16" cut). Also, spend the $$ on a good edging brush. That will save you a ton of time. The brush I use, I don't even have to mask off because it cuts in so clean. Do enough "home improvements" and you'll learn a few tricks along the way. :wink1:

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Patch holes (for big holes Home Depot and the like have easy patches made of adhesive and wire mesh), skim any imperfections and apply your texture if necessary. As far as paint goes, I would prime if it's pink now just to make sure your final color looks good.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thanks I will keep bumping this post up for more tips...

will any colour of primer work, or any recomendations?

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

A good quality white primer would be perfect. It was all we ever used at work if we had to prime something.

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

What we used to do at work was have the primer tinted to the same color as the topcoat (well, close enough.) This way it also acts as an additional color coat. Usually saves one coat on the finish, depending on what is being painted over.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do you tint primer?

Looks like this won't happen for a while, as usual :rolleyes: