Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual 465's..got some pics today! UPDATE....BROKE IT!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burbBoy, Apr 9, 2004.

1. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Dual 465\'s..got some pics today! UPDATE....BROKE IT!!

CyberSniper stopped over today and i got some pics of my dual trans. today. Hopefully i can get some more later this weekend.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The shaft betwwen the two is a front driveshaft "H" yoke and a dana 20 t-case yoke that slides on the input shaft of the second 465. The front of the second trans is solid mounted to a hefty x-member. The only problem thus far is going to be wear on the bearing retainer of the second trans. The input shaft likes to torque around and is slowly wearing on the reatiner. In the future i need to make the input shaft suported by a bearing so it cant walk around.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: Dual 465\'s..got some pics today!

the input gear of the second tranny will be toast in a short time IMO
    I do not think the CV is going to support it sufficiently

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What about using a solid sleeve between the output 1 and input 2? Then somehow solidly mounting the 2 trans together or bracing them together? You would have to run a trans mount on the second trans though instead of a solid mount.

Overall length?

Shift pattern? I imagine that if you drive it on the street you shift the front trans and leave the rear trans in 4th? How exactly do you reverse? Just reverse plus another forward gear right? Reverse + reverse is forward correct?

Can you shift the second transmission on the street while moving? or is the rotating assembly to heavy to sychronize?

Did you use a 2WD 465 for the front trans or is it a 4wd version?

Thanks

Harley

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

A solid sleeve would work but by the time you get that far back in length and remain at the same downward angle the second trans. x-member needs to be spaced down from the frame nearly 3".

This combo is 26" longer then a stock 465/NP205 set up.
    First trans is a 2wd the second is a 4wd
    when i get some more pics i will show the short shifter for the second trans. You can shift either one but its harder to downshift the second one. And yes reverse and reverse moves forward. So reverse and one and a forward gear on the other to move backwards.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

married version overall length is 14" longer then stock single tranny

use the second transmission to avoid running it in reverse rotation as I do not like the idea of sending a lot of torque backwards through the trans

I cant see the syncros having to much trouble but I clutchless shift 99% of the time on a truck tranny

6. Hossbaby50

How exactly do you do the marry the 2 transmissions? Does someone make or build an adapter?

As far as using the second trans you mean in reverse or all the time?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am going to use 2nd box all the time

so far it is all custom work

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

whats the point of two transmissions?

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I would say the point would be more gear selections and lower ratios for a better crawl ration. And of course, its just damn cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I want to improve mileage and driveability
    so after I get the dual transmissions I can run 3.54 gears and 39" tires
    with 1st trans in 3rd and driving with the 2nd it will be similar to 6.00s in the dif {*edited incorrect gear comparison 3.08 in the dual = 5.13 without}
    but when I get to freeway speed the rpms can be dropped below 2000rpm by running both transmissions in 4th
    using sm465s you still live with the ugly gear spacing but it is cheap and easy to do
    next time around I will find a close ratio box like a t19 or np435

11. Hossbaby50

Yep, what he said. You could run a 3.08 axle gear and still have an outragous crawl ratio for 4 wheeling. Most likely you would never need to put your tcase in low range offroad. With the dual trans in 1st and 3.08 gears you are running in the neighborhood of 130:1 crawl ratio without using low range. Low range would make it a 260:1 crawl. Then you have the option to shift the transmissions into any gear you want to get a large number of different crawl ratios.

Having the 3.08 axle gears also makes you act like you have an OD trans because with large tires you could spin low RPM's on the freeway to save gas. Down shift into 3rd gear and now you have a 4.56ish rear gear ratio for climbing grades, etc.

You just need to figure out your tire size to axle ratios to figure out what gear you need so you have decent grade climbing gear and cruise gears. The crawl ratio will be there no matter what axle gears you choose.

Also with running a 3.73, 3.42, 3.08 axle gears you get two more advantages. One is axles are cheaper and easy to find since most people are switching to 4.__ gears and are getting rid of there 3.__ gears and the actual ring and pinions of 3.__ gears are stronger then the 4.__ R&P's.

Harley

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i expect a full write up! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. Hossbaby50

There really isn't much to it. that coupler from the first trans to the second it the only thing you need beside some custom crossmembers and driveshafts. The front transmision bolts to your motor like a normal trans and the second is bolted to crossmembers. Put the coupler in between a 2wd 465 or 420 and a 465/205 and put some driveshafts in. Cut some holes in your floor for shifters and try and learn to drive the SOB. If you really want to have fun with levers then twin stick the 205. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh ya, and make sure you have a D60/14bff otherwise the torque in the lower crawl ratios is going to snap 1/2 ton stuff like twigs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Harley

14. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Speaking of breaking like twigs.....went on another trip today and cyberSniper got stuck just as we were ready to head home....i hoked up and just after the strap was tight.SNAP!....Broke the input shaft clean off the second trans. That was a fun trip back on the end of a strap. As soon as the pics are up of the shaft i will post em.

15. Hossbaby50

Damn, I didn't want to hear that. Makes me wonder about the longevity of it then. I bet the weight of your burb doesn't help the situation out any though. I guess when I run it I will have to put my truck on a weight reduction and try and not use 1st gear in the first trans.

Harley

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I had a custom input gear made
    female 10 spline that the A box output shaft plugs directly into
    no couplers
    no 1 1/16" B box input

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: Dual 465\'s..got some pics today! UPDATE....BROKE IT!!

I'd personally like to see an sm465 behind a TH400

18. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been working on the pictures and videos for an hour and a half. Charter Communications blows. Do you know how many freaking pictures we took today?

I'll upload your carnage pictures as soon as I get done uploading Jay's video.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how much you willing to pay?
    when do you want it?

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'd have to get through at leasta whole season July 15th to July 15th with my current setup learning it's quirks beore I'd consider a low range box.

When I do go low it'll Klune or SM465 behind my TH400

I don't imagine it'd be too hard, but I'd have to rework a lot of the stuff I'm using now. I don't Imagine after all the adapters the normal linkage will even fit into a pickup cab

Anyway, I really meant, id like to see it done