Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Alternators??? Or Dual batteries??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Jan 9, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Need some help?? On normal driving conditions my charging system works fine. Although I plow and when I start to use the plow the amp gage goes way down. I think it is suppose to. My question is the other day my alternator stopped charging so I am trying to decide what to do? Should I go with a 140 amp alt. I had a 94 amp in there. Or has anyone run dual alternators? Would a dual batter set up help? I also plan to be installing a light bar with KC daylighters this spring and I am sure that will steal some amps too.. What is the best set up for my needs??? Thanks Guys...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Blazerboy

I for one like the dual alt. idea but seem to be in the minority. I just can't bring myself to fork out 4-500 buck for an alt when I can wire a couple of cheap 100amp rebuilds to give me the same juice. I know Dodge & Ford both offer it as options on their HD rigs ao there must be a way. Will figure it out when I build my set-up this winter.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Single alt (high output) with dual or tripple batteries is the way I go. Tripple batteries would be the best with H.O. Alt. The M109 comes with a Dual battery tray on the passanger side and then you can put a single on the Drivers side. This is expensive, but I'm looking for the Dual Tray myself. That one I was going to run parralel and the one on the driver side would be with an isolator.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

an easy way to decide how big an alternator you need is add up all the fuse capacities of all the accories you want on at a single time. for plowing i would go with a bigger alternator and dual batteries. the batteries give you the juice to run the plow motor for a few minutes every hour which is exactly what you are going to do with the plow. and the high output alternator will recharge the batteries quickly. i know the redundancy factor of two alternators sounds like a good idea, but they cannot put out as much instantaneous power as two batteries. plus its another mechanical loss in the system if your worried about gas milage or rear wheel horspower.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The easiest route would probably be the high output alternator and dual batteries. The main problem I can think of with dual alternators with installing them. You would have to fabricate some type of bracket to mount a secondary alternator.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd recommend an aftermarket high output alternator. Factory alternators typically are designed with the assumption that the vehicle will spend most of it's time at speed, which means that the alternator will be turning at a relatively high speed. Many factory alternators can't put out much current with the engine at idle. I've seen aftermarket alternators that claim to be able to put out 60 amps with the engine idling. Since your engine is barely running at above idle speed most of the time that you're plowing, then one of those alternators should be able to keep up much better.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, the easiest way to go would probably be go out and get a larger AMP Alt. and then go buy 2 or 3 really good batteries(Diehard Gold, Optima) and then get a aux. battery manager like the ones that Painless wiring makes.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

While plowing snow, I ran dual alt. and dual batteries. The dual alt set up was easy. I used stock Chevy parts from the older Chevys, and mounted the heavy-duty alt on the opposite side of the engine. For the plow set-up, I ran a deep-cycle battery. It was allot of work, but I never had to "sit" and let my batteries charge like the other guys.