Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual alternators

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever tried putting dual alternators on a newer ('89up) K5 with the aluminum brackets and a serpentine belt? I have a/c but I am willing to ixnay it.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just looked into this recently. I have an 88, but a serpentine driving the stock alternator. I picked up a couple dead alternators from a junkyard so I'd have a nice wide range of pulleys and carcasses to make a bracket form. Not much info to lend yet, since I haven't worked on my truck in what feels like months... But I'd figure for a secondary unit, I'll use a V-belt, maybe mount it in place of or in addition to the smog pump.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

3. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I wrote about this once before but no one was interested. But I have a client who owns a limo service. He just a got a new limo with dual alternators on it. One is mounted in the stock location and one is mounted in front, facing back towards the motor, on a cool looking cast aluminum bracket. The whole set up was run by a serpentine belt and was totally factory looking. If you are interested, I could call the client and find out who he bought the limo from and then go from there.

4. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

I have seen the kit for the limo dual alternators, they a very pricey though. i think there is actually one for sale on Ebay right now, they use a universal alternator. As for putting an alternator on the '88 serpentine style, that is very simple and you can still use all the accesories. I had an '87, and I simply mad some brackets up and put the alternator in place of the air pump. Measure carfully though because it's tight with the frame. Aslo, you will have to use the newer GM CS130 alternator because it is very compact. I have only one belt on my truck with cast aluminum brackets. I currently have a 200amper in there now with dual batteries. basicly i do a lot of snowplowing and have a big stereo. this requires serious juice. I think I need to actually add another 200amp to make out good. I was hoping someone had played around with this style, because there are a few places you could put the alternator in there. Thanks for all the responses though.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've been asking this very question on this &amp; other boards now for a few years. I personally think it's well worth the effort &amp; when I get back to the stage of engine re-assembly in my rebuild; I'll post some info/results. I just don't see why people wouldn't rather fab a bracket &amp; use 2 cheap 100amp alternators as opposed to forking out MEGAbucks for a fancy 200amp one but to each his own. I'll provide the info when I get into it in the next liitle while.

In the meantime; for a free viewing on how it hooks up; pop the hood of a new 1-ton Ford or Dodge; both had dual alternators available as an option as far as I know!

Good Luck

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

6. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Yes, would like to have more info about this. Also, how to wire it to work the best...

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I know you could/can get duals on a Ford, but I've never seen/heard of them on a Dodge.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

i don't know why you just don't buy a high amp replacement, it shouldn't cost that much more plus then you still have air and a new alternator with warranty and a cleaner engine compartment. might not be what you want to do but I think it is the better way to go.

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Go here <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=10&amp;t=014673>http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=10&amp;t=014673</a>

Plus you'd have a welder too!!

Later,
    Buddy

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.

10. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

does anyone know what happened to this link, I even typed in dual alternators under the search but nothing comes up.

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Try "dual AND alternator"

Could it be this one <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=e5d8b849019369c372f3ccb8a4d6c712&amp;threadid=7035&amp;highlight=dual+AND+alternator>here</a>?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

12. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

That's the one..thanks

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock