Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual alternators?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tmanofcali, Nov 12, 2002.

1. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

has anyone installed dual alternators on their rig? is there any special way i need to wire it up? any thoughts of pros and cons for this?

TIA.

later, todd

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

What are you hoping to gain?

I wanted to do the same thing so I could run dual batteries. One for the original electrical and the other for all the accessories. That way if you had a battery go tits up, you would have a spare to get back home on.

I ask a mechanic buddy of mine about it once and he said the drain off the engine would not be worth. He said I would be better off to run dual batteries with an isolator and high out put alternator instead?

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree, dual batteries wired to produce 12volts is the better option.

4. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

im trying to make it so that my stereo doesnt cut out at stoplights. i had the one alternator beefed up to about 110amps, but it doesnt kick in until i hit about 1200rpms. i was thinking if i had a reg. alternator to produce the juice while im stopped that my bass wouldnt cut out. also at night i hate when my lights dim when the bass hits.

i didnt know if it was a good idea or a bad one......thats why i asked. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif plus i figured a new alternator is cheaper than another battery and the isolator and the wiring kit.

later, todd

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your set up is drawing to much power. If you have the high out alternator from the parts store then I would suggest getting a BMF Battery that has a high cranking amps output. Or get 2 deep, deep cycle 6 volt batteries and tie them together. That is was the big rigs use. Either way I think you will need a higher output alternator.

By high amp alternator I was talking about 180 - 250 amps that you can order. I beleive Summit and other type shop carry them.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think I'd start out with a smaller alt pulley. Should be able to find something at the J/Y that would work.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm kinda into the stereo systems, so I'll tell you about an awsum system set up a friend had on his 86 Corvette. This vette does run duel alternators, but here's the twist, the second one is wired independently from the rest of the car. It has it's own batt it charges, and is used only to power the amps. By the way, it's a 16 volts system. The rest of the vichile runs off it's factory 12 volt electrical system. I have no idea how much a 16 volt batt, and 16 volt alt cost, but it would cure your problem, and make your stereo system alot louder !!!!! Remember, alot of amps are tested at 16 volts for there out put power rateings.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had the same problem when I used to run a good system. I found that a better alternator did not cure the headlights dimming at the light. the circuitry in the alternator could not react fast enough to cover the drain the amps would pull. Put in a second battery and it all went away. Much cheaper also.

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You're best solution would probably be to get a capacitor for your amp. It stores extra power and discharges it when the amp needs it, kinda like an ignition coil. It can also make your system hit harder because it is getting more power. I would suggest that you send BozoWise an email and see what he suggests; he owns a stereo shop and should know. BozoWise@hotmail.com