Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual batt. switch ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fr8train, May 17, 2003.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Dual batt. switch ?\'s

So I am looking into these marine switches and wondering what in the heck "in rush" means. Also some of these switches are only rated at 550amps for cranking. So does this mean I will have a molten pile of slag when my 900CCA batt. goes thru its paces? Obviously starter wont draw that much but hey ... Murphy and his stupid law treat me like a red headed step child /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: Dual batt. switch ?\'s

I am running a battery switch from an ambulance. 4 position, batt 1, batt 2, both on, both off. Rated at 175 amps continuous, 325 intermittent. I don't know what "in rush" means, but this switch is all I need. no problems. The ambulance was a diesel, dual battery with evry kind f freakin light you could have!
    Mine is a "cole-hersee" made in boston mass.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. Will just do the K.I.S.S thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

we need a good multi battery thread.
    one with info on seperate regulators for each battery to avoid over charging etc.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

In-rush refers current refers to having one depleated bat and then combining it w/ a good bat. There will be a rapid x-fer of electrons which can damage the depleted bat. Some BICs (bat isolator/combiner) prevent this, or at least they claim to by limiting the on time when the sw is thrown to somewhere in the mili-second range. A boat sw or relays/selonids will not do this and can therefore damage the discharged bat. The good batt will not be anyworse off that if it were rapidly discharged.
    There are about 4 of dual bat posts in the last 30 days so a search will net you more info.