Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual batteries and what alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Jun 18, 2002.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so my plan is i gonna run dual optimas and the hellroaring isolator, but what should i do about my alernator? is my stock alt. enough to charge both batts. or is there another alt. that would do a better job. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have the same setup. I first was using a 120amp alt I got from a local AutoElectric shop fer like 110 bucks. That lasted a long time but just die recently. I now run a Powermaster 140amp alt. I think your stock alternator would keep both batts charge but not much beond that. So if you have a big stero and a winch and off road lights your batts will run dry and the stock alt will not keep up.
    I would get at least 100amper!
    Good Luck!

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Your stock alternator will charge both batteries. That usually isn't the question when running dual batts. The question is what kind of electrical draw you have. Your stock alt probably puts out 40-50A (guessing). If you are using, say, 35A, then that would only leave 5A to charge the batts (both of them). If you have not installed any major electrical components and are just running dual batts for reserve, you should be fine. If you have a winch or lights or a killer stereo or some other taxing eletrical component, you may need a bigger alt.

Does all that make sense?

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

tanks guys. i do run a 12,000 lbs winch and last night i had to really use it to pull a fellow ck5er out of a stuck. well it really taxed my single optima so these up grades are a must if i'm gonna do this again and be able to drive home /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .so it looks like a 100 amper is in my future so now my ? is where should i get one, napa? autozone? where can i get a powermaster brand alt. and how much.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Run a isolator and run the winch off the 2nd battery. Then if you draw that battery all the way down you still have your starting battery to run the truck off of. I think a deep cycle would be better for the winch battery. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

dats part of my plan /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , when you say deep cycle you mean like yellow top optimas?

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

For your setup, I would run a deep cycle battery as your secondary battery. Wire the winch to that battery. Then run an isolator (like the hellroaring) between it and your primary battery. That will give you all the winching power you need without risking your main engine battery. I have a similar setup on my rig where I run all my light circuits off my secondary deep cycle battery and only my engine stuff on the primary. I will be adding a winch next month and it, too, will go on my secondary battery.

For alternators, there are a few choices. I run a 180A unit from a local starter/alternator place. They take and rewind stock alternators so that I get more amperage out of the standard sized case. It was basically a bolt-in except I also converted to a single wire. The 180A alternator with black powder-coated case and wire to connect it to the starter/battery junction post ran me around $140. However, this alternator doesn't put out much at all at idle.

If I were to do it again, I would spend some moeny and get a Powermaster alternator from 4 wheel parts or some online place. I would probably get a 140A unit to make sure I had the proper juice when I needed it. But, these usually run around $150. Or, you could go with a big case 200A unit for around $400! But I am guessing the 140A should be plenty. I believe it is rated at 80A at idle.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

you could also PM kpanza on here. i think he sells Powermaster alternators. Become a member and you will get a discount through him!

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yellow top is one but there are bigger deepcycles than that but they may not fit under the hood. If you look in a boating supply they have some deep cycle wet batteries that are huge, but youy'd have to fab a mount in the back for one of the real big ones. If you're doing a lot of winching that might be what you need to have more reserve. A type 24 is preety small as deep cycles go. Another way is some RVer's are going to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries in seires. My neighbor swears by that setup. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

right on guys, now i gotta break the news to the wife that about how much this mod will cost /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup got my Powermaster from kpanza.
    Each alt comes with a spec reading for that alt. Mine came to me @ 163 max and 91 @ idel /forums/images/icons/cool.gif That is the cool thing about PM alts their idel amprage is very high!!
    About the second batt, you have to ask yourself how you want that batt to serve you? I wanted my second batt as a 100% backup to start my motor if #1 dies/drains. So I have nothing hooked up to it. ALL my hookups including the winch goes to #1 batt. I can truly isolate #2batt while the alt is still keeping it full of juice. Flip the switch to combine the batts if I need more POWER. If I want to run my stero in camp, flip the switch to completly remove #2 from the circuit and if #1 drains too low to crank over the motor, flip the switch VVAARRROOOOOOMMMMM off and runnin!
    Oh and I run two red tops and that has been pleanty to do everything I do /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Good Luck