Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual batteries; did a search, didn't find what i wanted, link added

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Sep 20, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

dual batteries; did a search, didn\'t find what i wanted, link added

i searched all forums up to 2 years ago, i looked at about 50 different posts over the last 2 hours. here's my question. does anybody here use the 250 amp dual battery system from painless wiring. i'm looking for all feedback: good, bad or indifferent. i'm thinking about buying their standard system that's about $100. thanks in advance. here's a link to the setup through jegs http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1638&prmenbr=361

rick

2. rick88blaze

Re: dual batteries; did a search, didn\'t find what i wanted, link added

Alright, does anybody have any experience with Painless Wiring? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif somebody surely has some experience with them.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i jus looked thru yur pics and finally found out wat the hell yur avatar is. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I haven't used painless wirings dual batter panel. I did however buy one of their painless wiring harnesses. There was nothing painless about it. I could have easily made what they sent me. A BIG BALL OF WIRE>>>> no terminated ends. JUST WIRE>>>> anyway. Good luck. What are you trying to do?

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i jus looked thru yur pics and finally found out wat the hell yur avatar is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you say water /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. rick88blaze

as for my avatar, yeah, there was just a little bit of water in there. i drained that out of my transfer case back in May. right after my tranny was rebuilt, and they resealed my t-case. they steam cleaned the casing. i guess they didn't let it dry all the way before they put it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. rick88blaze

i've checked out wranglernw, and hell roaring's setups. i was just asking about the one from painless b/c it's the cheapest. i do appreciate the input though. if i don't get any good feedback about the painless setup, i'll go with either wranglernw, or hell roaring's kits. in the search i did, wranglernw and hell roaring are the only 2 i found mentioned out of all the post's i looked at.

also, does anybody know if it matters if the 2 batteries aren't the same cranking amps. my main is an optima red top, and i've got a duralast that i got for $20. they are within 100-150 amps of each other.
    rick

8. paul123

paul123 Newbie

I'd been considering the dual battery set up as well. Take a look at this site and the dual battery set up.

http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.htm

9. rick88blaze

i saw that one, but i think that between hellroaring and wrangler nw. i like wrangeler's better. it just seems simpler.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for a long time I have been meaning to go to a dual battery setup... but the more I think out it, the more I think I might just go with a good 140+ amp alternator, a nice single battery like a Optima yellow top D31A, and 0 guage wire connections all 'round. 1125 amps at 32 degrees F? sounds like all I'd ever need. I don't generally do water crossings, so I could leave my rig running during winching... I just don't see why a pimp dual battery setup would be all that advantageous (or worth the expense) unless you are the designated winch guy at a mud bog event or something.

j

11. rick88blaze

i want to use a dual setup so that i can run all of my accessories off of the aux. battery and save my main one for starting the truck and factory accessories. i'm one of the people you meet that will go over board on everything on my truck. i might not need certain things all the time, but it's nice to have them when they are needed. not everybody is like that, and that's fine with me. but i want my truck setup to handle just about everything that's thrown at it.

rick

12. rick88blaze

i want to use a dual setup so that i can run all of my accessories off of the aux. battery and save my main one for starting the truck and factory accessories. i'm one of the people you meet that will go over board on everything on my truck. i might not need certain things all the time, but it's nice to have them when they are needed. not everybody is like that, and that's fine with me. but i want my truck setup to handle just about everything that's thrown at it. hell, i know that on top of the dual batteries, i'll be putting in at least a 140 amp alternator too.

rick

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah I hear ya, definitely depends on what you're doing with the rig. Ill never have a big stereo in my truck, or very many offroad lights... and the chances of me doing long sustained winch pulls without the engine running arent very great either. Add in that I wanna save on weight/complexity when/where I can and Im prolly gonna stick with a single battery. Anyway, sorry if I hijacked you're post. To be honest, I'd like to hear what peeps had to say about the painless wiring kit too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

I ran one in my Jeep. Hated the dang thing, LED's never really worked correctly. Painless wanted me to send it back to them the reprogram it.

I ran Wrangler Power Product's in my jeep before my last one. Was nice, simple and elegant.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

rick, not related, but how did you manage to get opportunity to get out of this state and to somewhere like L.V. ?

none of my business but im real curious, as you might be able to tell, i want outof here soemhow eventually.

thanks

16. rick88blaze

I'm active duty Air Force. I was stationed in Missouri at Whiteman AFB from Feb. '95 to Dec 2000. Then I was transferred here to Nellis AFB. It's on the north end of Las Vegas. Right now I'm trying to get back to either Missouri, or go to Nebraska to Offutt AFB. Where are you at in Illinois? I'm originally from Casey, Il.

Rick

17. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

The cheapest way to do a dual battery is to visit the dealer. Buy a battery isolation soleniod for a 97ish truck with factory dual battery for around $25. wire it inline with the positive cable between the 2 batts and attatch a ign signal wire to the input terminal. done. if you want more control you can wire a switch on the input side to select when the solenoid is powered.