Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual batteries save my butt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Yesterday one of my batteries croaked (actually the connection went bad due to some corrosion, but I didn't know that at the time) and the dual batteries saved me from (a) stopping in traffic, and (b) troubleshooting in 100 degree heat in a parking lot someplace.

Here's a pic of my setup:

The primary battery lost it, but I didn't even know until I got to my destination and couldn't restart. I just popped the hood and switched to battery #2 and drove home. When I was on the road and the battery died, the second battery kept the system going through the relay; when I shut down the relay opened and there was no connection to close it again.

Just thought I'd share this. The setup has saved me from severe inconvenience more than once. Hasn't yet saved me from walking out of the sticks, but it's nice insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    I had a similar setup on my K5 for a while, just had the HD relay between the two and started off one battery. My primary died in the maze district of canyonlands about 100 miles of dirt from a paved road and another 30-40 from there to a town. I used the jumper cables to hook up the 2nd battery since the primary didn't have enough juice to trip the relay.
    I was happy to have this system, the alternative was a VERY long walk. Although going cross country you could probably make it to a ranger station in about 2 days.
  3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Apr 4, 2001
    Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I have the worst luck with batteries crapping out on me, but they usually do it while sitting... not while out wheeling (thank god). I should invest in a good dual battery system... but I have too many other high prioritiy things going on right now (mainly gas tank and exhaust). A good dual setup is in my future though.
  4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nov 24, 2000
    Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have a switch between my batteries so if I need a jump (run the stereo to loud/to long) then I just flip the switch and a way I go. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif