Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Batteries?? Yes or no?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Sep 21, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

The concept of dual batteries? when to go to two batteries; off road lights,stereo amp, and cb..is this to much for my battery??...... advantages? dis-advantages?? ease of hook up?? etc..opinions wanted

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Very good ?
    The good ol boy answer is, if you run true duals and true dual possi front and rear, you should run true dual batteries. And don't for get to run true dual alternators for that true dual charging. CHARGE !

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

How much horse power do you lose when you run two alternators? Have you actualy run this type of set-up? I am asking 'cause I feel sorta dumb buying a Super HD alt. for a on-board welder

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

First ask your self what you would want the second battery for? I wanted a second battery for backup and extra power when winching! Dual batts are an awsome insurance policy whe out in the backwoods!! You do not need dual altinators if you have a Hellraoring Isolator/Combiner. This unit knows when to send charge to eather batterie and keeps them both at the same charge level. When in a winching sanario and your main batt. is slowing down you can combine the two batts for more power. AND, if you play your radio all night long at the campsite and your main batt. is all drained out you just flip the switch and vaarrrooommm the motor cranks and starts!!!!
    Go for IT!!!
    late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Executioner

1 HP = 746 Watts
    12V *(times) current draw is watts. Example 150 Watt K.C. off road lights. 12V*12.5Amps=150Watts
    So if the altnator is say suppling 13V at 100 Amps, that suppling 1300 Watts to say the weilder.
    When you say loss what do you mean? If the altnator is suppling about 1300watts, the engine must supply about
    1.5 HP to turn the alternator, so if this is the loss your asking about you can easily afford 1-5 HP for an extra
    alternator.
    Good luck

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

executioner.... what are you smoking, dude?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. Executioner

A pack of ture dual Salem's, ok

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

So I basically lose what the K&N filter is giving me, not bad. Do you have to have to make custom brackets or are they available in a Performance store?

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

10. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Why not get a dual output alt.? The premire power welding co. makes them with a HD external regulator and you can charge both bats. at the same time, hook them together if you drain one down after winching or if you left your stereo on all night, have a marine switch so you can hook bat. reserve together for above situations and switch back to charge each bat.separately