Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual batteries???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by raptorparts, Sep 16, 2004.

1. raptorparts

raptorparts Registered Member

Living close to the hurricane belt and I'm looking for a reliable way to use a 600watt 12v-110v power inverter on my 78 k20 so I can run a small tv and dvd player when the power goes out. Anyone doing this? I already swapped over to a latter style higher amp alternator with the big serpentine style drive belt off a late 80's impala so that helps...A local shop also recommends using 2 batteries so I'm looking to convert and know the diesel trucks came factory with 2. After a trip to the boneyard, I found that there is a solenoid with multiple triggering wires going into it on the diesels...isolating the second battery or what? I've never fooled around with the diesels at all so I'm at a loss for what all the wiring is doing. Also, would like to get a factory drivers side battery tray for the 73-80 pickup which would be different than the latter years but have never seen one myself. Does such a thing exist? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is nothing isolating the 2nd battery on a Diesel, they're wired together.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The factory did indeed issue auxiliary batteries; if you can't find one local, LMC or your dealer will have the support (side-specific) and tray (same for both sides, IIRC.)

Isolators are available at a good parts place; in short, they allow you to discharge the auxiliary battery (from your inverter, say) without killing the main battery (so yo can still start and drive) ... and charge both.

The factory used a solenoid in the 70's, as the solid state diodes required were too pricey then (they're cheap now.)

You may also find that car stereo places can help you with the isolator seup, as such things are popular with that crowd.

-- A

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

5. raptorparts

raptorparts Registered Member

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

Interested in having dual setup however why two solenoid and what are the switches for....and do you have part number for sol. and swithes....
    thanks Dan

7. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

Interested in having dual setup however why two solenoid and what are the switches for....and do you have part number for sol. and swithes....
    thanks Dan
    danpilon@rogers.com