Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual batteries

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I found an 87 1-ton with factory dual batteries. I am going to get the driver side battery tray to put in my Blazer.

Question:

What other parts should I get. I want to put in two batteries in my truck and I want to do it right.

So, what are the other parts in the truck I should pull?

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What kind of dual battery is it? Does it draw off both batteries when starting or is one an "auxilary" battery?

I have no idea which kind this vehicle will have. If it's a diesel then it'll draw off both batteries which isn't worth beans if you end up with a dead battery.

If it draws off both batteries you want the nifty piece that goes on the positive cable on the passenger side. It allows you to use two regular side post cables on one terminal. Other than that, it's just cabling.

If it's an auxilary type you want to grab the cables and the battery isolator. There will be a 10 gauge wire that comes off the charging circuit and goes to a box and then to the auxilary battery.

For myself, I do the battery isolator thing. I have a 10 gauge wire coming off the starter and then going to the passenger side above the vacuum canister where my 30amp battery isolator is. I have a 25amp fuse just before it. From the isolator to the second battery I have another 10 gauge piece. Some people have the isolator switched so it charges the second battery when the ignition is on but I have mine set up so it requires me to open the hood. I think I might leave it that way. I took a 4 gauge ground wire off the auxilary battery and hooked it to the back of the driver's side head. What does this mean? I have to use one of my jumper cables (positive terminal to positive terminal) to jumpstart myself. But I won't end up with two dead batteries. In the future I may install a Ford starter solenoid and use it to hook both batteries in parallel with the flip of a switch.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Battery cables.

1 cable from passenger side + to starter
    1 cable from passenger side - to engine ground
    1 cable from passenger side + to + on drivers side battery
    1 cable from drivers side - to ground

Same size batteries on both sides. Get at least 2 guage cable since you are really putting some juice out now.

Look into getting the cables off a Diesel since they come dual battery system already. NAPA had all my cables when I roasted 2 batteries, and all the cables, and the starter!!

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

It's a crew cab, 454, 1-ton, dually, 1987

I am going to get all new cables so I only want to pull the tray and any other devices that are needed to make it a "factory" setup.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Beats me what it had. GM used both types but diesels got two batteries hooked in parallel. The easiest way to find out is to trace wires. A cable run between the positive terminals is a sure indicator that they were hooked in parallel. In this case there will be a special piece...

[​IMG]

I found the one I have and took a picture. These are pretty rare and nobody at any auto parts store I've ever been to has ever seen one or knew how to find one. Of course, the employees behind an auto parts store counter often have the aggregate intelligence of mayonaise. It's easy to find the long bolt but the spacer is the hard to find part.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks wrathORC /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

By any chance when you rob the truck of its parts could you tell me if it had the parallel battery setup or the "auxilary" battery setup? I've been trying to figure out if and when GM quit using the "auxilary" setup. I got my isolator out of a late seventies/early eighties 3/4 ton with some V8 gas motor (my Dad yanked it years ago out of one of the trucks he parted out).

Thanks
    -Brian

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Will do.

I'll be pulling the 454 to put in an RV in a day or so. I'll most likely get the dual setup that day too. Check back in a couple days.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'll be pulling the 454 to put in an RV in a day or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a malfunctioning keyboard...I know you meant K5 when you said RV /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I was going to put a big block in my k5 but decided to go small instead.

If it makes you feel better, I found a complete TPI setup that I just might feed the 350 with /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif