Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Battery Req?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

I've done a search on the site but to no avail. I've decided to go with the Perko marine selector but am unsure what other things I need. I believe I need a battery isolator, but do I need 2 (one for each battery)? Also what else do I need? I really want to get this done today. And how should I wire it? Thanks.

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Don't think this will help you to get it done today, but I have a hellroaring battery isolator. I have had this for more than 3 years with absolutly no issues...

http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75300.htm

3. Saxwonder84

I looked at that but man that was expensive. There are battery isolators on e-bay for like $15 also can you give me an idea of how to wire it all up?

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

There are a bunch of cheap imitations out there. This one is the best. imo

You probably seen this on the hellroaring site, but here's the wiring diagram.

[​IMG]

5. Saxwonder84

what is a remote module? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks by the wat that helps a lot.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The remote module is the switch inside the cab to combine both batteries for heavy amperage use, set to the normal position that will charge both batteries but only draw from the main battery, or turn it off so you only charge the main battery.

You can also install the LED that is a diagnostic tool and lets you know several different stats of your batteries and charging system.
    This page outlines the diagnostics that are available.
    http://www.hellroaring.com/diagnost.htm

Here's a better diagram of how mine is wired:

[​IMG]

7. Saxwonder84

So that remote module would be the Perko Switch correct? Thanks for your time

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So that remote module would be the Perko Switch correct

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is correct! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

You could just go with the battery switch. You do not need isolaters, they just cause voltage drops to the battery. If you use just one battery at a time on your switch, the other will be isolated. However, the isolated battery will not get charged by the alt either. You could just manually switch to each battery to keep them charged . Or run the switch on "Both" to charge both (cheapest option). Just remember to switch to one battery when you shut the engine. DO NOT TURN THE SWITCH WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING !!! You can screw up the alt. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    What's nice with a switch is you could then upgrade your system when you get the cash for some kind of battery combiner (Hellraising, Wells Marine,etc). Definatly check boating catalogs, they have several different styles of combiners. I would stay away from any type of diode isolaters though. Had nothing but low voltage problems on my boat. I use the Wells Marine unit and never had a problem in 5 years now.Wells Marine

10. Saxwonder84

Is the Perko essentially the same as the wells marine?