Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual battery setup? Wiring schematics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Feb 5, 2007.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

So, I want to swap to a dual battery setup since I'll be running a CB/Stereo/Fog Lights/KC 150 sealed beams and maybe a winch here in the near future. Figure I will convert to a top post at the same time.

Anyhow, I was gonna snag a dual battery tray out of a diesel chevy in a local yard here and mount that in the driver side, but I don't really know how to connect the two batteries? any ideas?

2. BenDover

BenDover Registered Member

hook the batteries up in sieres. a positive to positive and negitive to negitive from the batterirs
    SORRY that would be parallel

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats parallel... series would be 24v, big dif...

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

:D One Good:D .......................:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:.................................:doah: :( other bad:mad: :mad:

5. BenDover

BenDover Registered Member

Your right, long day im tired:confused: :doah:

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Search. This has been covered recently and fairly thoroughly.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

There are a few ways to hook up a dual bat system. I dont have time to go through it in detail as I have to take off for school right now. You have the option of hooking them up in parallel as mentioned or a usually prefered method is to use a battery isolator. When I get back I will post links but there is alot of information here about this setup. In fact I think I started a thread a year back or so asking something similar. Good luck, do some searching...

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have to disagree, isolators are no longer the preferred method.

Read this thread. Ryoken put a lot of effort into bringing up a lot of good options.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I went from POS to POS as passenger side was grounded to alt bracket... took drivers side and grounded to block......

however I do have a 90A isolator that im going to use..
    I currently have 2 x 1000CA Duralast Gold batteries from AutoZone
    I am going to install 2 x 1300 CA Dump Truck Batteries in the bed in parallel and use the isolator to seperate the 2 sets.....
    :wink1:

11. WantedaDodge

thanks for the info guys! I don't know why I always miss these threads...

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I would not second guess ryokens knowledge in the case of electrical or most things for that matter. But simply becuase he has his own reasoning and opinion for not wanting to run something in a certain way does not necessarily mean that it is now not a prefered method. Many people I know, some of who are indeed electricians would prefer to use an isolator system. What their reasoning is I dont know because if I can ever get off my lazy butt and hookup my system let it be known that I am doing the marine switch. In fact its been sitting in my box for the last 6 months. However, I understand ryokens point and when evaluating what system I was going to hook up I chose the marine isolator for the same reason, simplicity and reliability. But some people may like the idea of an isolator system. I just thought I would inform the op of what some possibilties are. :wink1:

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, thanks for the props... :bow:

Now to the nuts and bolts... The reason many will run an isolator system is simple... drumroll... noone knows about the stuff I mentioned... end of story... electricians or not...

It's not any great thing on my part, I just happen to be in a biz that brought the tech to the forefront and I was researching it at the time.. The ACR's have only been out about a year, the Battery Mates, maybe 6 months...

But what I will say is this.. Both those methods are superior to older isolator tech.. Not that hellroarings stuff or other isolators haven't worked for tons of people, it's just newer, better tech..

The battery mate is very similar in it's hookups to a regular isolator system, just has better innards as opposed to the older diode isolaor tech...

IMO, the ACR tech blows anything away.. As ntsqd and I discussed in that other thread, it's hookup is foolproof and cannot affect any other part of the truck system....pos to pos, thats it... little pricey, but I may be able to get mine for down near $100... Well worth it at that price imo..

I'm not badmouthing hellroaring or any other isolator system just trying to start getting the word out on the next step in charging tech.. If I was not lucky enough to find out about that stuff, I too may very well have ended up running an isolator system...

I'm close to having my system diagram drawn up... Been working on it in Photoshop, hope to have it up in a couple days... If my fubarred modem will allow...

14. WantedaDodge

15. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like I said in a previous thread about ryoken' knowledge on all sorts of sh!t. Unmatched.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: