Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual battery setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 305twistedchevy, Oct 27, 2002.

1. 305twistedchevy

305twistedchevy Registered Member

<font color="blue"> i have an 87 k5 and my question is how hard/easy is it to install a dual battery setup on a single battery truck i have plenty of 2g wire and a nother brand new battery do i need to get another battery tray as well for the drivers side any help would be great thanks.Joe </font color>

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I put a nother battery in my burb, it was very easy. First you could go to a junk yard in search of a rust free drivers side tray or go to the dealer. Which is where i got mine because there's nothing rust free in new hampshire. It cost 74 bucks so they ain't cheap. Also its not good to mix old and knew batterys in the same system, the old one will steal from the knew and they will drain each other. I also put in painless's master minder battery thing. It controls the charging and has a solinoid to seperate the battery's if need be, in case you leave the lights on it will leave one bat to start your truck. www.painlesswiring.com

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that sounds cool...guess ill have to add that to my list of mods too...

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Another option is to get a Battery controller at a Boat supply place. it will let you run off either battery or both or even tun both off. About $70 for a decent one. Put a battery isolator on for charging to keep them both up. Then you can run two different batteries without worry of them killing each other but gang them together for self jumping or for winching.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool ill check that out..thnx!