Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Battery Stack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Dec 5, 2005.

?

Stack 2 60lbs batteries on one side?

1. Yeah, no problem.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. That's stupid. You need to get more creative.

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So what's every ones opinion on have 2 Optima D31 (59lbs each) batteries stacked on one side of the engine compartment (Passenger side).
    In my tilt fiberglass front end I have trouble find a place to mount 2 batteries. The stock locations are no good because it would tilt forward with the rest of the front end, so I can't do that. Plus I'd have to brace the piss out of the glass wheel wells to hold up the battery during violent manuvers. (Noo, there won't be any of those :wink1: . I do have room on the passenger side right in front of the heater box to mount one. In looking for a location for the second, there really isn't a good spot. My thought was to stack the 2 where I was going to put the one in the engine compartment (in front of heater box, passenger side). I have the height (by about 1.5") But my concern is 120lb's over on one side. Should I do it?

2. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

why not put one or both inside the truck

3. 73k5blazer

I dont want to take up any room. The cage already robbed alot of good space. I could, I just don't want to.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i say go for it, have to make shure to brace it well enough so it dont colapse.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would mount them inside the frame rails (custom box) or behind the rear seat.

6. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Yeah, with optima batteries you can mount them in any location upside down and end on end. I would consider making some new boxes to mount them in a new place, I know the k-5 is tight on space so there might not be any better places.

7. 73k5blazer

Inside the frame rails? Where were you thinking, in the motor compartment or underneath? I'm cubed out underneath, I put an 8gal air tank under there.

8. 73k5blazer

Yep, New mounting tray(s),bracketry, boxes etc are mandatory no matter where I put them. I had already started to fab the trays. I'm ok on the fabrication end, so almost anything is possible.

9. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

what about a trap door in the floor where you can get to the batts? make a nice box to hold the bats and take a beating behind the rear wheels, only thing i could think of whitout seeing the underside. only downside would be the wires that would be needed

10. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

if fab skills are good why not in the console?i know loss of space, something like a tuffybox on steroids maybe a little longer/taller with plastic tray on top bats are covered and still have a little space and 120lbs in the middle of the truck
    just.02

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would mount them underneath the body, just aft of the xfer case, or just fwd of the fuel cell. One on each side, or do the custom box. I would even check on a metal ordanance box from a mil surplus store. With optimas you can put them anywhere they will fit. I even thought about removing the glove box to mount the secondary one. Just make it a fixed panel and access the batt through the bottom.

12. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

With optima's, id put em in the cab. Save some stress on your front end.

13. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to put a second in my Spare Tire Well at some point. The spare does not fit anymore anyway.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i dont know about 120# being alot of "extra stress" on the front end, but i would seriously consider moving them to the rear, and trying to keep them towards the center, and as low as possible. as you well know, the nose of the truck is the heaviest end. moving 120# off the front end and to the rear could dramatically change the weight bias for the good. a well balanced truck would handle better both on road and off, and the lower you add the weight ( and higher you remove it ) will lower the CG without effecting ride height. we all know lower CGs are always good.

16. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

I dont hink that 120 lbs would make that big of a difference, I could ses you riding in the driver seat causeing about the same in handeling...

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

here ill give you a sneek peek at my dule batt set up not 100% yet but will be tomorrow.

this fits inplace of the stock tray.

that black thing i am holding i made two of to retain both batterys in the same spot.

P1010018.JPG

18. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

hey guys dont all batterys espicially truck batterys emit gasses when they charge?? im pretty sure that they do... just a thought...

19. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hey, that looks familiar ... two batteries on the driver's side, by chance? I have one on the passenger side for starting, and then these two in a modified CUCV tray for the winch ... yeah, prolly overkill and heavy, but 'sallright with me.

-- A

dualbatt1.jpg

dualbatt2.jpg

dualbatt3.jpg

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yes thet do, exsept for optamas, and other simaler 'gel' or spiral type batterys.

they recycle the vapor back into water the battery needs so it is no prob, to have it inside.

my tray is on the pass side, conected by a constent rated selinode