Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Battery tray

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nickstegeman, May 8, 2004.

1. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

I know that the "Dual Battery" has been beaten to death, but I am having trouble finding a Driver side battery tray fro my 85 rig.

Any ideas on where to find one cheap?? Or any way to just rig something in??

HELP!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Post up in the wanted forum. Look for any of the diesel trucks they have the driver's side tray...I think some of the BB's had them too not sure though...You might be able to get it at the stealership also...

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, there was a factory option to have a second battery on the driver's side, so if you have only the one battery, that tray set up is basically a bolt-in affair.

On my '90 3/4 ton /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I had to move a charcoal cannister or something, and drill maybe one hole. On the '74 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I think I had to drill two holes, and move the horn... all pretty easy hand-tool stuff.

LMC carries them, either a genuine GM part or a repro, anyway, as the one I bought from them had a GM sticker with part #.

The dealer also carries them, though pricing will vary. I seem to remember paying maybe $50 for the bits I needed for my '74, back when I didn't know about LMC.

The LMC catalog is helpful as it shows you all the pieces you need -- I forget with these newfangled trucks, but they're different from the 73-80's.

Now, the military diesels I've seen (donno if this is also available on the civvy) are psuedo-24V, so they have a different dual-battery tray, that holds two together, on the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't know if one of these would fit in a gasser -- though I've always wanted to get one, the two batteries I have in my trucks do me just fine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You might be able to get one from somebody parting a CUCV, fwiw.

HTH. If I completely missed the quesiton, apologies, and if you want, I have pix of all of these setups above.

-- A

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I forgot about LMC... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. xdelirious45x

xdelirious45x Registered Member

I am positive I saw universal battery trays at Pep Boys. I would check there, it would probably be cheaper. However, you might need to make your own modifications.

Goodluck

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can get them from gm cheap if you buy the tray and the support seperately. online they are 7.50 each, weld them together your self and save $25 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Can you post the pic's of the CUCV dual passenger side battery tray ?
    I have the factory GM driver side dual tray but I am interested in seeing what the CUCV one looks like .
    Thanks in advance , Tom

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll see what I can do next weekend if he can't.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Cool ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks . Tom

10. dremu

Ask and thy shall receive. It's frightening how many pictures of stuff I keep, but damn, it comes handy when I'm dreaming up new and weird stuff..

Looks like the CUCV's put the second battery out there in the middle on the passenger side, but the tray looks big enough to me to fit two batteries /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ... maybe smaller ones?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-- A

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yep LMC has em, i got mine there, jsut have an empty tray at the moment, havent gotten time to do up the dual batts lol.

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pic's ! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    It is hard to tell from the pictures - do you think that the second big tray will clear the O.E.M. A/C evaporator core/housing and related parts ?
    I have worked hard on finding old axial compressor/brackets for my engine and I will finally have an off-road truck with A/C and I don't want to have that tray interfear with the system .
    Once again good pic's and thanks ! Tom

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think that bracket is going to clear an AC box. In the military we don't get such luxuries.

14. dremu

Well, that's an interesting question. I know most were AC-less, but I *thought* the M1010's (the ambulance CUCV's) had AC... but it might have been in the box and not for the cab.

With a /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif and a /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif anything could fit.

Strictly speaking, the factory second battery option is your obvious choice, unless you want more than two batteries... how many do you intend on mounting? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

-- A

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I didn't think that any of the CUCV's came with any form of A/C and I think you are right about the Ambulance versions having climate control in the box not the cab .

I am using the factory GM dual battery set up trays for normal battery use and winching but I was thinking of how to set up battery number three and only use it for auxilary lighting and such . I have dual altenaters and I want one dedicated to the third battery and the CUCV battery tray looks like a good spot for it but I am too excited about having A/C in my Blazer to give it up if the tray does not fit .
    I would rather use a bolt in tray like in your pictures than make / fab one up .
    I think I need to take a trip to a local military surplus yard and see one of the CUCV trays for my self .
    Thanks , Tom

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ive got an extra miltary battery tray... good condition ..no rust thru.. west coast rig with 2k miles...
    25 and the ride
    cam

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How redneck are you?

I took a factory passenger side tray, drilled out the spot welds for the leg, and then re-welded the leg on the other side. Magic, you've now turned a passenger side tray to a driver side tray.

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Did some looking and measuring and the second passenger side CUCV tray will not work for me .
    Looks like I am gonna have to make a passenger side dual battery tray myself .

I saw that re-locating the leg on the factory tray would work for changing sides but I already had a driver side one so I just used it . I am geting lazy as I get older - if I can bolt something in rather than fab something up , I opt for the bolt on part ...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks , Tom

19. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

tray has sold... thanks Aaron
    cam

20. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Universal battery trays are available at parts stores for $20 or so, but they are just a tray and don't include the brackets needed to make them mount right. They are intended for replacing, not adding. I have kept my eyes open for a diesel rig in the junkyards, but haven't found one yet. I have considered getting a universal tray or some junkyard tray and fabbing up the brackets.