Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual battery wiring question???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Nov 1, 2003.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

questions about a dual battery setup i am running a dual optima battery setup with a painless wiring isolator i am using 1/0 gauge welding cable for battery cable my question is on the rh side the[ main battery] the ground i was planning on attaching the ground to the engine block and on the lh side going to the frame i am also running a engine to firewall as well as a bed to frame ground is this the proper way to ground the electrical system ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ground is ground. It doesn't matter where you hook it. Electrically it is all the same.

3. romanviii

romanviii Registered Member

It sounds like you have all the bases covered. I do disagree with the "ground is ground" statement though. I had an engine perform terribly once because the body wasn't grounded very well with the frame (bushings and a rotted ground wire). Once I hooked up new additional grounds it all ran smooth.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

This is what I have for grounds on my truck:
    Two ground straps to the cab, one on each side.
    One ground strap from the cab to the passenger cylinder head (original one).
    One ground strap from the frame to the fuel filler neck (original one).
    Two from the box to the frame.
    Four ground wires from the core support to the frame (two are original).

Off the passenger side battery I have the main wire going to the starter and a 10 gauge wire going to the frame.
    Off the driver side battery I have a ground wire going to the core support and the main wire going to the back side of the driver side cylinder head.

When I get around to running the rest of the way for a winch I'll run single aught wire from the driver side battery to the frame.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds like you have all the bases covered. I do disagree with the "ground is ground" statement though. I had an engine perform terribly once because the body wasn't grounded very well with the frame (bushings and a rotted ground wire). Once I hooked up new additional grounds it all ran smooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct. The whole truck does need to be properly grounded. However, it doesn't matter where you hook the batteries to if done correctly. The whole truck should be one big chassis ground...so theoretically, you can hook the batteries to the frame or engine and it won't matter. If your body is not properly grounded, that's a seperate issue all together.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

but if you hook your battery ground to the frame or body and do not have qa heavy enough wire to the block you will have problems. The one item by far that will pull the most juice from your battery is the starter. I always ground my battery to the block. Then I go from there to the frame and from the frame to the chassis.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct. The whole truck does need to be properly grounded. However, it doesn't matter where you hook the batteries to if done correctly. The whole truck should be one big chassis ground...so theoretically, you can hook the batteries to the frame or engine and it won't matter. If your body is not properly grounded, that's a seperate issue all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a computer is involved it does matter where the grounds are attached. They need to be in series and definately do not form a loop.
    I would ground both batteries to the engine (starting current is the highest - make the path the shortest), then engine to the frame, and finally either engine to body or frame to body. If you do both of these last two you've created the ground loop which can drive the computer nuts and you crazy trying to figure it out.