Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Batterys?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87sm465np208, Aug 5, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i have a single battery and stock alternator, new, but stock, i wanna run dual batterys so i can have more power to power my lights and accesories. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's cool. So...ummm...you got a question? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. 87sm465np208

yes, what do i need to do it, and where can i get it for cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, battery i already know where to get.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

www.hellroaring.com should have all the stuff necessary for the dual battery setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 87sm465np208

well thats awful nice of you to post that, but im talking about going to the junkyard, pulling parts off a old chevy truck and installing them on my chevy truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hummm....if you just want more power to run lights and accessories why dont you just upgrade to a higher output alternator and install some relays to feed full power to the lights. Probably easier than a 2nd battery, isolator, relays, etc and possibly over-taxing the stock alternator. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    well thats awful nice of you to post that, but im talking about going to the junkyard, pulling parts off a old chevy truck and installing them on my chevy truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All you really, really need is a driver's side battery tray, an extra battery and some cable. I'm not sure about finding a tray at the junkyard... maybe from a diesel. Just hook the ground to the chassis and the positive to the other battery positive.

This'll help start and give you juice for accessories, but they'll both go dead if you leave your lights on or something. You should at least get a switch or something for some isolation.

8. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Not trying to hijack this post but I am putting in a 180 amp alt. and want to go with dual batterys who makes the best kit to do that painless or wranglernw

9. 87sm465np208

well i like my amperage high, and my voltage at regular levels, so im gunna go junkyarding soon to find parts for this, and then spend time puting it in. soon i hope, i have so many lights, of corse the coolest one so far is the blue rope light that i wraped around my roll bar that goes on with my running lights, yea i stick out like a blue sun spot in the dark of the night driving down the road, and you know what, i like it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

bling bling /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

seriously, all you will find in the way of dual battery setups in a junkyard are cables to hook up 2 batteries in parallel (neg to neg, pos to pos). If you are not worried about isolating them just do that. You may need to either fab up a second battery tray or there may be one available for your year. Beware of dual battery setups from heavy duty diesels they are 24v systems and will kill all your pretty lights.

11. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Mine has dual trays stock... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go to TX85GMCGUY's site. He has a good write up on installing dual batteries. Hope this helps.
    Ray

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The pickup or the blazer? I am installing dual batteries in my blazer. They were available stock and LMC lists the aux tray and bracket. Odd thing is the replacement fender I got for the pass side is not drilled for the aux tray. The dimples are there for the holes, just no hole /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

14. 87sm465np208

interesting, i just learned that i dont need to have some fancy soilioid, just alot of cable and anotehr battery and connect the old battery to the new battery, and that should do it eh? all i want is just power that i can run stuff with, well this is my new plan, if i can figure it out im going to autoscoan and buying cables and a battery and then find a battery tray from the junkyard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

NOTE :

YOu can NOT simply hook two batteries together. THey must be the same age and voltage and amperage to properly work. Batteries of unequal size will kill each other. When deisel trucks get new batteries...they get two new ones. When a big rig needs a batery..they get four !

Blake

16. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

kind of on the same question, my blazer is diesel and it needs the 2 batterys to kick it over, now what if i want like 5 KC's for it.. am i going to have to get another battery? or will it be ok?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The alternator needs to be sized large enough to carry the output. Once the engine is running, ALL the power for accessories and lights should be provided by the alternator. The batteries should only be used for starting or running things when the engine is off. If the alternator is not up to this, you will drain the batteries while running the engine and possibly burn up the alternator running it at constant full load. The batteries are a Storage device, the alternator is the power device once the engine is running.

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

not trying to hijack either but my neighbor is thinking about two batteries in a demo car and all he is running is alt and HEI and starter, can he rig two batteries and be able othave the single alternator charge on them ?

how would the cables need to run to and from the engine block/frame/car body tub, and to and from the starter, and to and from the batteries in orderfor it to not multiply into 24volt ?

19. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    how would the cables need to run to and from the engine block/frame/car body tub, and to and from the starter, and to and from the batteries in orderfor it to not multiply into 24volt ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just attach + to + and - to -, but what's the point? Does he need more juice for starting?

20. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The pickup or the blazer? I am installing dual batteries in my blazer. They were available stock and LMC lists the aux tray and bracket. Odd thing is the replacement fender I got for the pass side is not drilled for the aux tray. The dimples are there for the holes, just no hole /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]1978 Cheyenne K10. I can't tell you what engine it had in it stock, because I don't know.