Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Cats for my '90 K5, or keep the single

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Butcher, Sep 20, 2005.

1. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, I plop down $150 for some Dynomax Mufflers that the guy at 4WP told me would be loud (I had initially gone in to get some Rustmasters, but they sold me on the lifetime warranty with the Dynomax). Took them over to the muffler shop and put down another $190 to get him to do a Y-pipe after the cat, then plumb the two mufflers with 2.5" tubing all the way back to have one exit each side behind the rear spring hanger. The guy did an awesome job, and it all looks great. Problem is, it is quieter than it was with the stock exhaust. The guys at Dynomax told the guy at 4WP that this was the loudest muffler they made, so I don't blame the guy at 4WP. Plus they offered to trade out the Dynomax.

Anyway, here is the question:
    Should I buy two Magnaflow cats, an X-pipe (Magnaflow's premade equalizer tube) and the loud 7" round Magnaflow mufflers and replace the stock cat and the new Dynomaxs? I want this to be loud, and I have been assured this would do it. Do you think the dual cats and x-pipe would be worth it (sound/increased horsepower), or just get the Magnaflow mufflers and put them in the place of the Dynomaxs?

Thanks.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Cats act like a muffler in themselves, i have run without a muffler and it was still not very loud, if you don't have emissions there, i'd just remove it (the Cat) if you do need it, try running one of those high flow cats, they are smaller, and shouldn't act so much like a muffler.

I am of course assuming you are still running the stock Cat?

I have also noticed, that the longer the tail pipe, the quieter the sound will be as well, i'd bet, if you cut off the pipe to right within 12" of the muffler, it would be louder.

3. The Butcher

I'm in Texas, but I can get it to pass inspection without cats at my friends place. But, if I were to get pulled over and someone bothered to look, they would see that there were no cats. Don't really want a ticket for that.

I am running the stock cat, but was going to switch to two hi-flow Magnaflow cats. I don't want to cut the pipes down further b/c I don't want to suck on exhaust while I'm sitting in traffic.

4. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I put the dynamax dual exhaust and flowmaster mufflers on my K5. Then went in for inspection and didnt pass. So I just picked up two free flow cats and it still sounds real good. Just hard fitting one on the passenger side near transfer case.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i live in arkansas and ran open headers on the street for about 2 months before i finally got annoyed enough to put on an exhaust. never got pulled over, all the cops just looked at me as i drove by. :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  6. The Butcher

Any other thoughts?

7. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

I run a a true dual exhaust, high flow cats with flow masters series 40 mufflers and the darn thing is loud as hell. I am thinking about going to a quieter muffler because it is so loud, or sound deadening my cab better.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If all you want is loud, Have the muffler shop weld in a dump after the cat. Then you can open it and be really loud, or you can close it and be legal.

9. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did. I had to make one up to clear my dump cylinder/sissor assembly. I removed the headers and put manifolds back on cause I could not stand fixing the leaks anymore.

http://www.tjsperformance.com/exhaust.htm

T.J. (from CT.)

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm betting money that "the guys at Dynomax" was a line used by the 4WP guy to get you to buy 2 overpriced mufflers. put a pair of 40 series Flowmasters on if you want loud, they'll drone you right out of the cab. why do you want loud? loud does not equal powerful, its just annoying. BUT, if you want loud, ditch the cat altogether, run the 40s, and get the biggest nastiest echo cans you can find and put them on the ends of the tailpipes, it'll be louder than you can stand.

since you're asking for recomendations on what to do, i'll throw out my input. send the Dynomax mufflers back, and get your money back. then visit www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com . check out these mufflers...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...94874061&autoview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|1

this one is even stainless. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...94874061&autoview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|1

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...94874061&autoview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|1

or any other choice of performance mufflers on either site for that matter. give them a call, they're trustworthy (unlike 4WP) and will likely at least have a clue what they're talking about. you can blow that price from 4WP out of the water, guaranteed. top the setup off with a set of 3" or 3 1/2" chrome slash cut tips, and you'll have an exhaust setup that will still be loud, but not obnoxiously loud. if you're after obnoxiously loud, then go for these, and dump it in front of the rear axle. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...94836341&autoview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|1

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

ive go dual 2 1/2 with 2 magnaflow cats and 2 40 series on my 86 and its pretty loud, my buddy has the same exhaust without the cats and its not much louder

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

why not just gut your stock cat. this would save cash and with a friend in the business no worries there. no ticket ether as it is "there"

Grant