Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual electric fans thermosatat not opening?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Oct 19, 2006.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, from the post the other day if you read it, my fans were not coming on when the temp reached 185. i have checked the wiring a million times, and just bought another themrostat just in case.

im checking the themrostat up to 220 degrees with a test light, and its is just not opening. fans work every other way fine.

i have the thermostat into the neck on the manifold, and i know its getting plenty of flow

any ideas??

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what kind to T-stat do you have?

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

painless , 185 on, off at 170

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've gotton a couple of bum t-stats from the store, brand new in box,no worky.
    I test any new t-stat's now on the stovetop in a pot of boiling water and a thermometer (meat thermo works well!). Make sure your wife isn't around.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

are you sure your motors t-stat is working ok? how old is the t-stat for your fans?

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just to clarify for everyone, it's not a thermostat, it's the thermal switch triggering the fans...

You could stove test that too... boil the **** out of it, pull it out with tongs and check continuity between the body and send stud..

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I should go look at the diagram, but I'm lazy.

Are you checking the switch correctly? Assuming single prong switch, (normally open, closes at 185*) you are using one end of the test light on the switch, with the other end to a good 12V source?

As an aside, if you have to buy yet another switch, your t-stat I'm assuming is 160* if you are using a switch that goes off at 170*?

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

yeah, i can test the one thats not in the motor right now tomorrow. ill try the continuity test.

thermostat in the truck is new.

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

yes, ryoken actually told me about that. i have good ground on the body of the thermo switch, but nothing from the top connector when it hits 185.

this is driving me nuts

as far as thge wiring for the fans goes, no matter what when i hook the test light up to the 12 volt, i should get the light of the thermo switch triggered at 185

10. dyeager535

Yeah you've got it right, the switch is used to ground your test light circuit, so if that's not happening at 185*, somethings wrong with the switch. (of course, assuming your test light works when you ground the correct lead)

Not surprising given parts anymore that a new part doesn't work right. Which is why I don't have a problem re-using old parts like GM senders, etc. :)

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

1st switch was brand new, and just bought a second yesterday. ill have to try boiling it tomorrow.

what a pain nin the ass.

12. dyeager535

Never know, maybe they were mismarked during manufacture. Some GM switches were 240*, so it's possible. Not likely, but then again, how likely is it that two brand new ones don't work right? (apparently, very!)

13. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i think ill just drive to pauls (ryoken) house with a sledge hammer and take it out on his k5 so not to damage my own lol

thanks a lot for the hepl gain paul. and ill let you know soon on that plasma cutter.

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha... :haha:

Well, at least we got the switch aspect and the wiring straightened out... Let me know on the test. You could always stop by the marina at 3:30 too with the truck...

And yeah, don't forget to ask those guys about the plasma.. That may save me 2 noisy days with a cutoff wheel... :doah:

As far as the sledgehammer goes.........

My truck.....

Farts in your general direction! :p: :eek1: :bow: :haha:

15. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

lmao, you fool. maybe i will stop by tomorrwo. staying in brick over the wweekend to watch a house anyways, so ill be close

ill give you a buzz