Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual electric fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90BCk5, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

so i sourced up two 14 inch electric taurus fans and installed them in my k5 and i was wondering if there was a kit i could buy that would allow me to run the fans of off my stock therm, as well as have a toggle to turn them on/off when needed??? or should i just go to my part store and rig something up?
    would that be easier?

thanks

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Personaly, I would just rig them up with some nice switches, but hey that is me. I would put the throttle on a toggle switch if I could. The Taurus fans are a cheap alternative to duel fans. Sweet score there.

3. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

yeah they pull a TON of air, after i mounted them in the truck i test fired by just wiring to the batt. if i had a toupee it woulda blown right off!! :haha:

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Ya one of my buddies runs them on a 94 Mazda pickup, with a S10 front chassic. A 350 mounted in there to make the Mazda fast and reliable. He ran short on room and so he went with these fans. When they cut in it sounds like a airplane running down a runway. It never runs hot so money well spent and money saved.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I was going to do an electric fan setup one of these days as well, i was thinkin of using the same kind of idea that my Camaro had, it used a thermostatic electric switch, with relays of course, the switch looks almost like an oil sensor or something.
    the stock switch turned the fans on at 210 degrees, i thought this was too hot, so i looked one up in the Jegs catalog, they have them for like $50 or so, don't remember tight off, but they turn the fans on at 180 or so, and off at like 170 something. i think they are just ground switches, so hooking up to a relay, with the temp (ground) switch, and a manual ground switch, it seems kinda easy,,, :dunno:

i dunno, i might be forgetting something though.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Flexalite or one of the other companies that sells aftermarket fans must make some wiring kits for electric fans. I believe there are some diagrams that have been posted up here that do what you ask.

My personal opinion is to set it up with two relays/temp activators, (you can add a switch to that easily enough) as both fans are typically not needed and it puts a heck of a load on the electrical system which is not a really good thing.