Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual exhaust and headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Apr 10, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to hang the dual exhaust on a Blazer? When I see a Blazer with dual exhaust, I always have to check it out. I see hangers welded and crap like that to the frame. My dad knows how to do it, but he never explains it. Since you guys have Blazers and usually answer the posts, I figured I'd just ask you guys.

"Crutch" Huckins
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I just installed duals on my 79. The drivers' side is stock. The passenger side had to had two hangers welded to the chassis. Both are at the same position as the ones in the driver side. The hangers were from an old car. The H-pipe had to be installed behind the transfer case because the headers ended too near to my tranny.

The hard part is bending the pipes right. That's why I took it to a shop. The cost was $100 for pipes, bending and installation. I bought two Flowmaster 40 series and Flowtech afterburner headers from Summit. I installed the headers.

If you have any more questions just ask.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Dual exhaust can be pretty easy. I got a kit from Dynomax that just bolted up. Of course if you go the custon way, then how easy or hard it is is up to your design. There are plenty of places to bolt up hangars, you don't have to weld them if you don't want.

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

I wish I could go to a shop and have them do it for me or at least bend do something for me. I can do the headers myself, because I have put quite a few on for my friends. The thing is, muffler shops won't deal with trucks that have headers on them. It's a law here in Kansas and where ever else. It kind of stinks. Oh, another thing, if I ordered some headers from Summit or Jegs, could I get them to weld and O2 sensor housing or whatever on the headers for me?? I have a TBI Jimmy. If so does anyone know about how much??

"Crutch" Huckins

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I believe that a few different header companies offer O2 sensor mounts with their products. I'd give Summit or Jegs a call and see if their tech guys can help you out. They might even be able to find a bolt-up exhaust that will fit and give you a deal on the set(at least you can try!)

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ok, I'll have to do that. I really want dual on my Jimmy and I want to buy all the stuff at once instead of seperate. Makes things a lot easier.

"Crutch" Huckins

7. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Have you considered travelling outside KS for your exhaust work? Might be an option...

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

Hmmmm, ok I guess I'm retarded. I never thought about that at all. I guess I could check out Oklahoma, cuz that's closest to me. I'll check that out.

"Crutch" Huckins

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think the laws that are holding you back are the same in every state. The only state its WORSE in is California, but I think the other 49 are supposed to follow the same rules. Just try to get someone to do some illegal exhaust work for you at a shop in town. Pull some guy to the side and say "afterhours" and "cash"...and it shouldn't take long before someone will hook you up.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

In Oklahoma, if you want dual exhaust, you got dual exhaust. If you want to do anything out of the ordinary you can get it. You may not get a receipt or anything but you can get it done. Don't go to some friggin midas or rapid, find the hole in the wall exhaust shop and tell them what you want. Like I said though, you won't get a receipt but you'll get it. I've got a shop here local that will put anything up you want. When you are paying though the lady will ask the owner if it's good or not. Translation, LEGAL OR NO. Where are you at in Kansas? If Tulsa is not to far a drive, I can swing you down to the shop I use and have the guy bolt up some pretty wicked stuff. My 3" Single on my 89 worked real good till some lady ran underneath me. It's all up to you. Keep in mind though, that if you start pulling emissions stuff off, you might have trouble getting it inspected. No smog checks, but they still look underneath to see what you pulled off.

Kyle
    89K5

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Better check the laws befor you spend the money!! In some states it is illegale to install dual cats on a truck unless it came with it. Make sure your not going to have to remove it to get it re-registed next time....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

12. BLzr4x4ngkid

Hey Kyle, where in Tulsa do you live?? I'm in Wichita and that drive would be worth it. There are no ispections here guys. If there are, then I'm completely in the dark about it. The 4x's all over town have dual with headers. Actually, all the 4x's that I can think of have dual with headers. Is there a # where I could get in touch with you and when I'm ready to get the dual I give ya a call?? That's cool you are in Tulsa. That's only like a 2 hour drive for me. Well thanks guys!!

"Crutch" Huckins

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ok Ryan, hahaha, tell me where to go?? I'm scared to do that, because I don't want to get someone in trouble or shut down. It's not a big deal to ask, I'm just ready to get dual on it now!! :) Later

"Crutch" Huckins

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I live in California and I got headers and duals on my 78 you just gotta know the tricks. As far as the hangers go for stock locations you should see a brace located on the bottom side of the rear compartment right behind the rear seat it should have two studs about 1 1/2-2" long and also look behind the rear shackle hangers. When I had mine done the guy used some 1" wide 8th" thick stock and used poly mounts instead of crappy rubber.
    Corey 78K5

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm on the SouthWest Side. Sapulpa. Check with someplace that does vehicle inspections. Find out in your area what the laws are against removing that stuff. If I lived about 6 miles south of where I do now, I wouldn't have to put anything under my truck other than a muffler. It's all about the city you live in, and where you're address says your at. Don't trust what you see on other trucks around town. My dad used to run an chevy van with nothing but 2.5" pipe fron the headers, FRIGGIN LOUD, but we had a guy that would inspect it for us. That's another trick, get in good with somebody that does inspections and they will help you out. Shoot me an e-mail and we can hash it out. I'll give a buddy of mine a call when he wakes up and see what he'll do.

Kyle
    89K5

16. BLzr4x4ngkid

I am probably going to sound stupid, but I have no idea about this inspection stuff. I mean, seriously, I have never heard or seen it happen here in Wichita. All of my friends and the guys in the 4x clubs don't know about those either. This is really interesting. If anyone knows please inform me of it.

"Crutch" Huckins

17. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Kansas has NO Inspection,, BUT,, if you get pulled over and the cop looks under your blazer and sees that you have no cats, your busted.
    On my 78 I just got some pipe and stuck my muff's on the headers,, drove a block to Midas and they put on a complete custom dual 2 1/2" system for me. On my 85, it had duals, and I just ordered two cats,, gutted them, cut the muffs off,, slid the cats up the pipes, clamped them and then clamped the muffs back on. I know you're not suppose to have two cats,, but it passed inspection. I'm on the other side of the boarder in MO.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

18. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Painless wiring makes the O2 sencor and Jegs carries it. I hav an '89 GMC Jimmy with Hedman headers, flowmaster series 40 muffles and Tennessee tips... it rummbles at idle and roars when WOT! I did it myself at a Chevy dealership where my dad works: bending, welding and all, and I was 16!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

19. BLzr4x4ngkid

Where did you get your exhaust system?? Sounds pretty wicked!!

"Crutch" Huckins

20. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

where did who get the system?

NEVER been stuck... *yet*