Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Exhaust Fumes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tuner-automotive, Aug 22, 2005.

1. tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive Registered Member

Im getting a dual exhaust flowmaster system tomorrow w/full flow cat and Im trying to decide wether to have them exit the back or out the sides ?
    I was worried if they went straight out the back that the fumes may get into the Blazer with the back window open?

2. 85454blazer

85454blazer Registered Member

mine go out the back and unless you want to get high on fumes the window must be up!!!!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go for the sides. No matter where you have them exit (within reason) with the rear window down you will still get a whiff on occassion, in my experience.

Notice that GM also made a 45* cut in the exhaust pipe tip, I suspect part of that design was to evacuate the exhaust as far from the vehicle as possible, without causing clearance issues.

4. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I've never used them but you could try exhaust deflectors.

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a 94, and the flip up hatch style window definitely sucks the fumes in from teh dual exhaust out the back.

It probably won't be as bad with the roll down window, but it will still suck if you plan on driving wiht the window down a lot.

6. tuner-automotive

what if they were angled the last , say , 6"-8" at a 45 deg. down?

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Exit them out the side. That way you can make all the people you pass hear you sooner. That works better with no cat and no muffler and a manual tranny. Push in the clutch an make it go "WRAAAAAAMPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP". :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im just running headers right now :D . everyone can hear me comin from 2 miles away. sounds just like a dragster. no fumes either.

get them out the side. or have them drop off right after the muffler under the truck, prolly wont get much fumes that way.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I either love them too much ( Chevy v8 fumes ) or I am used to them by now . But with mine exiting near the stock location ( 83 ) I never notice mine .

But then again I am kinda freaky anyways like that , never get sick much either :wink1:

10. tuner-automotive

thanks guys.
    dhcomp...... after looking at your pics I realize even if I angled them down towards the ground out the back they would still kick the fumes up and into the rear air vortex that forms behind the truck while its moving.
    I think Im gonna send am out the stock side locations but angle them at a 45* so they exit right at the side/rear corners

[ ]
    / \ like this , sorta , well you get the idea.

11. Jew Pimpin

Jew Pimpin Registered Member

Side exit or not...gonna be a little stinky in the cab with that back window down.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Having a 6.2 diesel make them more noticable, but here's my experience.

- stock had dual exhaust that exited at about a 90 degree angle on both sides. you got a slight wiff every once in awhile with the rear window down but nothing too terrible

- swapped to duals straight out the back......the right circumstances would cause lots of fumes to enter the cab from the back window. I installed one of those plastic aftermarket style cab spoilers and it helped a little, but still not enough to really make driving with the rear window down liveable

Ironically, with the top completely off I don't really notice any fumes at all.

13. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I'm dumped in front of the axle and with the rear down you can smell it, but if you roll down the sides and rear, fumes like a mutha. No cat through 2.5" duals, I'm gettin' light headed just thinkin' about it :crazy:

14. muddybuddy

alright, well i stand corrected bout droppin it right by the axle. :doah:

i do like duals at the corners with 45* bends. i think that looks best.

15. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I've got an 84 with headers, no cat, and high preformance mufflers that exit out the sides behind the wheels at about a 45 degree angle. With the window down the fumes are almost unbearable to most people and even my clothes will smell after I've been driving for a while. But to be honest I personaly like the smell, I've just gotten used to it. :crazy:

16. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

If your cologne smells like, or is exhaust fumes................you might be a redneck :D

17. muddybuddy

i kinda like the smell too....oh well :haha: maybe thats why i dont really notice it.

18. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

mine are out the side before the wheel. barly any fumes with window down. on the otherhand. here in cal dont be next to the jersy block in non-moving traffic

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Mine used to exit to the side behind the rear tire(it came almost to the edge of the body). It had a last bend of 90 degrees. Never noticed fumes. I cut it right before the bend when I did my shackle flip. Worst fumes ever. I'm putting it back and hoping the cage I have now doesn't effect the airflow right ther too much.