Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual exhaust kits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 9, 2001.

anyone here ever install one of those prebent, do it yourself dual exhaust kits? if so was it a true bolt on? want to add duals to my 76 work truck and maybe save some money doing it myself. is it worth the hassel?

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I installed one last year and it sucked! First off the kit (and most kits) was for a truck so you had to cut the intermediate pipes to length which wasn't that hard just more work/time. It also had a lot of unnessary bends(which would be nessesary in a pickup not in a K5) which made it harder to fabricate the hangers. If you want to do it yourself I suggest getting the pipes bent at the local muffler shop, much easier that way.....

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. well then it might work out good for me. my 76 is a long bed 1/2 ton. what kit did you get and if you don't mind, how much was it?

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the Dynomax dual kit. I cut about 8" out of each side and bolted it on. A monkey could have done it. $110 from Jeg's.

I suggest it to anyone. I have a SWB truck. With a LWB truck, if you use the right muffler, you won't have to cut it at all. Cutting the pipe to fit is no big deal though.

<a target="_blank" href=http://mavericktim.freeyellow.com/exhaust.jpg>Here is what it looks like underneith my truck.</a>

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

Figured I'd add that people have spent $600 for the setup I have with painted headers. I have coated headers and I spent $350 for everything.

The manifold dual kit is just as good. I installed it once on a C10 pickup and it was just as easy.

All you'll need is 4 clamps and two mufflers in addition to the kit. You might want to buy some better hangers than the ones it comes with though. Either way you can have manifold dual exhaust for a whole lot cheaper than a shop, and as you can see, it's very high quality (my pipe is nearly a year old and not a spec of rust on the pipe yet).<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 09/10/01 11:59 PM.</FONT></P>

4. reply to:

"A monkey could have done it."

man, you're just leaving the door wide open for me here! J/K!! that was what i was waiting to here- that it was easy and cheep. i've heard some horror stories about some of those so-called bolt on exhaust kits. something like that will be perfect for my beater work truck.

hey, is that a 208 i see in your pic? man, you better get that out of there quick before it explodes!!!

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I tried the ol' bend 'em for me and I'll hang 'em myself approach. They said nooooo way, the law won't let them do it. They can't assist any part of changing the original exhaust design. Hmm, I gotta find me a new buddy that works in a exhaust shop. (We're talking the true dual no cat approach here).

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just tell 'em it's for a science project or something [​IMG][​IMG]

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I know a guy in Mass that just did mine up. No cats, true dual, mandrel bent, fully welded with 3 chamber Flowmasters. 400 installed (no tips). Very sweet.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Yea, I tried gettin em to do them for me in Denver, no way. I'll keep lookin, I think I have another source that can help me out.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would just save your cash and have someone do it!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would just save your cash and have an exhaust shop make you one and install it!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, that is a 208. It is coming out. I've got a 10 spline NP 205 and an SM 465 already!!! I just need flywheel, pedals, clutch, linkage, and driveshafts and it's going in. It has served me well, but I want fixed yoke, and I want an SM465, so the only option was the NP 205 in my price range.

From what I've been told by my friend that works at a shop, the law says that they cannot remove your converter, but if you do it beforehand, they can do whatever they want.

Here in town I have no problems getting mine bent if I want to, but the Dynomax kit is just as easy, and much cheaper.

Man, the 208 comment was just funny!! Sorry I don't have the pics of my greasy NP 205 developed yet or scanned.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I tried to get em to do it and keep the converter and I'd install another on the 2nd side. Still wouldn't do it for me.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated