Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual exhaust on 97 6.5 TD?? can it be done??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by yeild2me, Jul 6, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Man, I want duals on my truck. What I was thinking is dual pipes all the way back and turn out behind each rear tire.

Can this be done?? Will it affect the turbo's operation??

Thanks....Rob

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well considering the turbo only has one outlet, then it would be impossible for it to be true duals. You would be better off with a single 3.5 or 4" pipe with a free flowing muffler. If you really want the look of duals, then get a Y pipe with dual tail pipes coming out each side of the truck. IMHO, duals on a turbodiesel look and sound pretty bad.

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I was looking under it today and saw a big round thing just after the manifolds. WTF is that?? My muffler was removed last summer, so it has a deep rumble. Can this round thing be removed too??

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Catalytic converter would be my guess, but I dont know if 6.5s came with those. If you dont have emissions testing there, Id say get rid of it.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As already mentioned, you would have to "Y" the pipes off someplace behind the turbo. There might be a minimum distance away from the turbo you need to be before doing this also.

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well my 6.5 has dual exhaust... i want to upgrade to bigger pipes... dont know how its all set up but i have dual, right behind the rear tires /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Does your 6.5 have a turbo???

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

its not a turbo.. sorry.. did i get u all worked up??? hmmmm...? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

A single well-designed 3" flows better than dual 2.25s (And most 2.5s)

So, you still want duals, eh?

Options if you have a turbo
    1. Add a y-pipe after the turbo, come under the trans (front) and cross over, both pipes to mufflers to out the back
    2. One pipe into a muffler that does 1 into 2 (Flowmaster, etc.) Y out of the back of the muffler to wherever you want to go.

Me? I'd run 3" all the way back. If I had the $$, it'd be Banks. My MH may be getting that since it's included in the turbo kit (if I can find one, anyways).

It'll be going from duals to single 3"

As it is, Gibson has always done me right and sounds good on those long hiway trips.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

When talking about dual exhaust it makes a huge difference whether or not you have a turbo. On a non-turbo you can just run true duals, with a turbo it's a whole different story.

11. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When talking about dual exhaust it makes a huge difference whether or not you have a turbo. On a non-turbo you can just run true duals, with a turbo it's a whole different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

well im curious, what makes it so different and harder to run duals on a turbo?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Because your left exhaust manifold is piped into your right exhaust manifold, then into your turbo and exits the turbo through a single down pipe that connects to your exhaust pipe. The only whay to run true dual exhaust and have a turbo is to run dual turbochargers. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i remember reading in one of the 4wheel mags that a 3" pipe has more volume than two 2" pipes. it was on their project diesel blazer. they removed the stock duels and went with a single 3". i dont think it was turbo tho. i personally like the look of a big single exhaust on a truck, but thats just me.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, a single 3" pipe flows better than dual 2" pipes.

The surface area for a pipe is pi*R^2 (3.14 x radius squared).

Here are the numbers.

3" pipe = 3.14 x 1.5^2 = 7.065 square inches

2" pipe = 3.14 x 1^2 = 3.14 square inches

dual 2" pipes = 3.14 + 3.14 = 6.28 square inches

15. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Reply you can do it with out the y pipe and true dual you will just have to bend your own headers to do it check out thirdgen.org go to the power adder msg board and they can tell you how its done belive me my Ta has a ATI turbo on it and it has a dual exaust. Alot of guys on this bord have used the diesel turbos on thier cars so they can tell you what to do.
    Earl