Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Exhaust- Transfer case clearance?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The factory exhaust on my 84 has developed a nasty leak on the crossover pipe, and instead of repairing the rotted pipe, I want to run duals. I was under the truck for a few minutes yesterday and realized that there isn't much room on the passenger side due to the transfer case(208). Are there any reasons that this would cause a problem?

And does anybody know anyhing about Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers? The local exhaust guy says that they're a good compromise between performance and sound deadening, and they only cost around $80 CDN apiece. Flowmasters are over double that amount......comments?

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Dual exhaust will work. Can't help with the mufflers.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got 2 1/2" duals on my 85, and the passenger side has about 1 1/2" of clearance on the TCase side, with almost 3" on the framerail side of the pipe. As far as your muffler concern goes, Summit Racing sells their own version of a Flowmaster, which sounds just alike, and appears to be the same quality construction for about 40.00 US (60 Canadian). You also may consider checking with other performance mailorder places to find a good price on the Flowmasters.

Best of Luck to you

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm having a dual exshaut system put on my 87 K5 right now. The guy is putting a 2-1/2" dual inlet/outlet stainless steel muffler on it and he says I should never need to change it again (about $150). I'll find out the name etc. It looks and should sound sweet plus it makes a clean job. I'll let you know. Post your question again in a couple days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]<font color=red> Ride'in High In My K5! [​IMG]

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I run 2 1/4" duals and I have no problems with clearance.

Murphy's Law :
    "When you don't know what your doing, do it neatly."

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I had dual 3 inch! with the 5 speed, 203 range box 205 t-case 45 gal fuel tank it was very very full. Pluss with a red line of 4500 even my 530 hp 400 does not need tow 3inch pipes and mufflers. Now the 87 to 92 y-pipe is two 21/2 to one 3 inch pipe its very clean and flows the cfm needed! And goes down the drivers side! A little mathe here the dual 2/12 inch has a area of 15.7 one 3 inch has an area of 9.5 this would mean that the 3 inch should handel a 350 or 400 ci motor in to the 5000 rpm range the dual 2.5 inch would go in to the 7000 rpm range. The 3 inch singel would move the tork band down. dual 2.5 would move it up the band. So though the duals sound cool. A free flowing singe 3 inch with a good y-pipe will flow more than needed plus move the tork band down were its needed! the singel 3 inch would be cheaper! Plus at the end of the day your ears wont rang as much.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. 83k5project

83k5project Newbie

I have a set of the Dynomax Turbo's on my '83 K5 and on my '84 Cutlass. They have a great deap tone and very little back pressure, really let the motor breath.

83 Blazer
    65 Olds 442
    65 Olds Cutlass