Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual exhaust vs. single exhaust with dual exit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by devilsquid, May 4, 2004.

1. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I've been looking around at several exhaust systems and I'm noticing that most are single exhaust systems, just with a dual exit. My intention is true dual exhaust, but is there any benefit to actually having a single with dual exits (other than looks)? What are you guys running? What systems would you recomend?

thanks
    PJ

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

My truck is weird, but sounds awesome.

It's got full headers (DT Tri-y) going back to just behind the t-case, then the duals enter a 2 into 1 Dynomax muffler. 3" is the size of the outlet. I think the two pipes are either 2.25 or 2.5 (never measured).

Really sounds mean! Grrr! (<---lol at myself) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Single muffler with dual outlets are retarded in my opinion. Twice as much junk to find a place to plumb, twice as much junk to rust off, and twice as much junk to get tore off on the trail. Either run true dual exhaust or keep the factory Y-pipe in my opinion.

I have dual exhaust and it dumps under the bed in front of the axle. It used to go out the sides behind the tires but I backed over the tailpipes about a year ago on the trail. I cut them off under the bed and ran downturns for a while. Then I found out that they kicked up a lot of dust. So I got rid of the downturns.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A single 3" exhaust will give more low end torque than a true 2 1/2" dual.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    A single 3" exhaust will give more low end torque than a true 2 1/2" dual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say that without actually knowing the facts on the engine.

I'd say that's pretty accurate if you're assuming all other factors equal, and that no crossover pipe is used with the duals.

If a crossover pipe is used, I'd say the dual system will make more power across the RPM range due to less restriction.

With an engine under 300 horsepower or so any difference between the two would likely be minimal.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Since we have 4x4's and not race cars around here and most of us are looking for low end torque my statement would hold true.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It has been a very deeply rooted myth that exhaust restriction otherwise known as backpressure increases torque. This couldn't be further from the truth.

But, in your example, the 3" single and 2 1/2" duals are very similar in their potential for flow.

I'd say that the performance would be very similar if a crossover pipe is used and I'll stand behind that statement.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have hooker headers, dual 40 series flowmasters, 2.5" piping, 5" tips behind my built 406.

Dandwg said he could here my K5 from the freeway at his work and said it sounded awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

well...this is a basically stock 350. So it sounds to me like I should go with either a single 3" or dual 2 1/2" with a crossover.
    I was looking at a set of hooker headers to go along with the package.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Go single...much easier....

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I see a lot of people putting large tips on their exhaust systems. Do these do anything for the performance of the vehicle? Don't really see how they can, but I might be missing something.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I see a lot of people putting large tips on their exhaust systems. Do these do anything for the performance of the vehicle? Don't really see how they can, but I might be missing something.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    1.The 5" tips make the tone a LOT deeper and more aggressive sounding.
    2. They look really cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LIKE THIS !?!? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

14. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. ban-one

ban-one Registered Member

I'd prefer a 3" single because there is not enough place for a crossover under my truck and dual outlets are only fake ...
    ... twice as much junk ... as CyberSniper says.

17. biobry

biobry Registered Member

There are a lot of good arguments both ways, and I had pretty much decided to go with the 2 into 1 deal with 3" tailpipe...until I found out NOBODY around here will bend 3" pipe.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LIKE THIS !?!? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, like this...

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. ban-one

ban-one Registered Member

Okay, these tips look cool.
    But most pedestrians see them for the first time /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif when they got under Your truck. And then I think its too late for them. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, these tips look cool.
    But most pedestrians see them for the first time /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif when they got under Your truck. And then I think its too late for them. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can see them very easily between the tire and te fenderwell.