Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual exhaust with doubler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Dec 30, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

where did you route your exhaust with your doubler installed? I'm trying to figure out where i'll put mine, i'm using 2 1/2 inch pipe

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you caint figure it out send me the double and I will send you my 700/241, it should be fine with duals :haha:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

screw it, just run stacks through the hood. the smog nazis will never know the difference. :D

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

There is hardly enough room on the pass side to run a pipe especially if you have the 205 rotated. i eneded up getting a 2 into 1 muffler and running it on the driver side.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, the regular length headers didn't work for me either, they came down right where the driveshaft was, shortys were orderes (from jegs, about $100, they were from an s-10 v-8 swap, forgot the part number. they were from Heddman.)

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I had the local muffler guys custom-route it ... it was tight, on the passenger side, and if I'd fabbed a t-case brace for that frame rail I'd be screwed. (Since I'd opted for the 2" rotation, I couldn't do the stock one. I ended up with three crossmembers and hope for the best.)

It fit inside the frame rail around the t-cases and such with some bending. This pic (sorry for the size, but it might be important, so I left it) is from the driver's side (front to the left); the shiny new piece is, of course, the piece in question. It goes above the parking brake cable and then inside the frame rail above the 205 and doubler up to the manifold.

HTH.
    -- A

new-exhaust-1.JPG

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

More pics Dremu, you know I am in the same boat. As soon as I get the rear axle welded up, and my issues with the Doug's headers resolved, I will be getting a whole new exhaust system as well. Which muffler shop did you use? Oh, and three crossmembers?

8. dremu

Muffler shop is named, hmm, Mel and Sons, and is up here in little mexico (Concord.) Nice enough folks, though they took their time with it ... but they listened to what I wanted, stuck the truck up on a rack with me there and had me point at it.

One crossmember for the tranny adapter foot, one for the doubler foot, and the third one to hold the skid plates :D Okay, only really two ... but I had all those crossmembers sitting around :)

I keep offering to drive down there and help you with your '74 ...though I wouldn't drive this truck, too damn cold :) I'll get pix when it's less wet.

-- A

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just had a brain busting idea to run the exhaust through some big square tube sliders . Just need to fab the bend from the exhaust to the sliders :D

Just don't climb in barefoot

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Be glad you don't have a HP my shorty headers, headman 68600, stop about on the driveshaft.

11. Desert Rat

Yep, the 74 is just waiting for some attention so I can get it running and sell it. If this damn rain ever stops, I can finish up the 76 as well. Sort of, once I get it road worthy, I think I'm heading over to Fabworx for a welded in cage. Then some Line-X on the interior. I may unload my front seats from the 76 for some custom ones so let me know if you are interested. I'm going to have to do the same thing on my exhaust. I think I will have to hang around the shop and make sure they get it just right.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Aaron, did they add some heat shields to protect the fuel and brakelines from the exhaust heat? That is the biggest issue i see with running a pipe in that area...

Rene

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Ditto.

I have my pass. side pipe routed in front of the TH400 pan, then siamese's into collector.

Hey, be sure if you do this you cycle and measure your front driveline movement, so you won't have problems when twisted up on the trail.

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I had a 2" pipe and it either rubbed the frame or the 205. It was also very close to the fuel lines. I recently did a 2 into one (that crossed under the tranny) and couldn't be happier. There is enough room on my drivers side for two pipes all the way down if you are really set on duals.

15. dremu

Yeah, the guy expressed some concern about it, and IIRC that was some of the reason for the fun bends; he had to do some crazy stuff to make it work to his satisfaction. ::Shrug:: So far, so good, but what do I know.

-- A

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you get vapor lock you'll know why... :doah:

Rene

17. Desert Rat

The previous owner of my 76 had all this home made insulation jury rigged along the gas lines. First he packed the inside of the frame with house insulation. Then he has some kind of plastic/composite looking stuff the thickness of normal cardboard cut to fit. Then he put aluminum foil over that. There were wire ties about every 2 ft. to keep it intact. I thought it was crap so I pulled it all out. Now I'm seeing why he did it. I might have to fab up something to protect the lines as well. There must be something better though?

18. dremu

She did okay in 100+ F heat in Hollister this summer. Hoping to make EJS (AZBlazer, you reading this? :d ) so we'll see how she does in Moab.

-- A

19. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Here is mine :D My 205 is rotated up 2" and I think the pipe is 2.25.

[​IMG]

20. dremu

Of interest, I was taking some parts from a 76-77ish dually C&C frame that Iceman has in his driveway (and yes, he knew about it :haha: he was there!) ... anyway, on the passenger side it had what looked remarkably like a heatshield, riveted to the frame. This was a C30 truck, so no transfer case, but presumably the factory suspected this sort of issue.

I may get some tin sheet or something and do that if I run into trouble -- but as I said, I had no issues last summer. I think the muffler guy did me right; he seemed to know his sh!t.

-- A