Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Oct 31, 2004.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    What duel exhaust system can I use on a 1985 K5 Blazer?
    I can't find a duel exhaust system for my truck.
    Thank
    Adam

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have no experience with off the shelf kits, i would recomend finding a local shop that bends pipe. ask around at the parts stores, they usaully can direct you to a decent place.

3. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

My '86 Jimmy w/350 had flowmaster dual exhaust setup with headers (not sure what brand). Unfortunately, I was having trouble passing emissions and ripped it out to install a setup that would accomadate the A.I.R.

So I paid premium for a set of Edelbrock headers. Big mistake. They are specially built to replace original single exhuast and be emissions legal. I didn't notice any difference in power, but the fit is aweful! The cross tube hangs down under the front drive shaft even with the skid plate under the transfer case, very exposed. And it was supposed to bolt right in, but I had to do some cutting.

The Edelbrocks were expensive and poor fitting. I'll be either taking it in and having it custom rerouted or ripping it out and replacing it. I know that there was another header brand with A.I.R tubes for about half the price. Forget brand. I expect these are typical headers on the output side, but not certain. If so they might hook up to flowmaster. Or maybe flowmaster has an emissions legal setup. Not sure about that.

So solution depends on emission requirements. But my fix was overkill for Denver bc they barely do a visual and I don't think the A.I.R. was a critical factor in getting my emissions down. A new cat and very lean jetting seemed to be the critical fixes. I probably could have got away with two new cats on my original setup!

Mark

4. adamforsythe

Hello
    Thanks for the info

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you live in a part of the United States that has annual emission inspections, then good luck finding a muffler shop that will put a complete dual exhaust system on a vehicle, which came with single exhaust as original equipment. Most will turn you down flat.

What you can do is get them to set up a custom single exhaust system that can be easily modified at a later date, at home, because what you do at home is your own problem. This will cost you some money though...probably about $400.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I live in a county where there are annual emissions inspections (actually after next yr, no more woohoo), anyway, took it to local meineke (or is it midas) anyway, take it first thing it the morning, and pay em cash, they have no probs with doin it. Just so long as they dont have a record of it, they dont care, least around here.

7. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    I live in a county where there are annual emissions inspections (actually after next yr, no more woohoo), anyway, took it to local meineke (or is it midas) anyway, take it first thing it the morning, and pay em cash, they have no probs with doin it. Just so long as they dont have a record of it, they dont care, least around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could find a shop that would do that.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

small shop out of the way...there all over and will do anything. Its not their problem if you won't pass smog.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You can trailer it there and tell them it is an "off road only" vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

LMC truck has dual exhaust kits

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You can find bolt on systems that seperate after the cat, but all I have seen run on the same side cause of the gas tank on the other side. Check out JEGS or Summit Racing, I've seen the kits in their catalogs

12. 1-ton

I have been to three different exhaust shops that said they would not put a dual system on a vehicle that came with a single system originally because they could be heavily fined by the State B.A.R. for doing it.

With a 4X4 truck I would run the whole dual exhaust down the left side only (one pipe over the cross-member, and the other under the cross-member) because the transfer case interferes on the right side, and then just turn them down in front of the differential. I would probably use the "tube" style Cherry Bomb mufflers, in order to fit two mufflers side-by-side, or regular performance mufflers turned horizontally side-by-side.

What about the issue of a CO2 sensor? Is there such thing as a dual CO2 system?

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im running a true dual 2.5, even ran it on my sbc, it has no probs clearing the t-case on the passenger side, I think I could stuff a 3.5" pipe in there, and it would just be close. Im running at the moment dual cats and dual flow 50's.

As far as the oxygen sensor, when i had my sbc it was in the drivers side header, now its in the drivers side collector(no bung was in my coated BB headers). I had to install a heated o2, but other than that, no problems.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hello,
    What duel exhaust system can I use on a 1985 K5 Blazer?
    I can't find a duel exhaust system for my truck.
    Thank
    Adam

[/ QUOTE ] Before you go to a duel exhaust, do you have emission testing ?? If not, kewl, go for it. You'll need too get a local exhaust shop too bend some pipes for you.

15. adamforsythe

Well when I put the duel exhaust on I will put a cat and muffler on each side. So I think I will pass the emission test
    Thanks
    Adam