Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BeaterBurb90, Aug 29, 2006.

1. BeaterBurb90

BeaterBurb90 Newbie

does anyone know where to get a good dual exhaust kit, preferably direct fit. i have an '87 blazer with flowtech headers and i am having trouble getting something to fit.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just let the local Meineke bend one up... Our local guy rocks... cheap too...

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well for stock duals I would go with LMC they are for a long bed but easy to trim. If you have the header flange to regular just use them $169.95 and no worries about any missing parts ;)
    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/0093.html

Been on my truck almost a year and still great I drive it almost every day.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2 on LMC exhaust

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I had looked at the LMC exhaust for my '90 K5. It doesn't say it will fit a '90 but seems like it should. Am I correct in assuming it will? Also, I'm in the process of putting in a MPFI 468. Would this exhaust work w/ a BBC?

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

When most of the "local" shops bend the pipes don't they have a crimp in them that reduces the size of the pipe unless they are mandrel bent? Can Meineke do this?

7. Metrodps

They should fit.... Go to an auto parts store and look at the exhaust pipe book for a 1973 - 1978 Blazer with a big block and compare the pipes in the pictures. In most cases where the body hasn't changed I believe you can use earlier pipes on vehicles.
    I say this based on the fact that I put dual system on a 1980 Camaro Z28 using 1974 pipes just had to modify the doughnut flange and shorten the pipes before muffler. The basic V design of motors should be the same and exhaust manifolds haven't changed that much. Check the exhaust manifold styles to compare.

8. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I called around and none of the meineke / midas / etc shops did mandrels much less the 3" pipe i want. I found a guy around the corner from my house who's going to do mine but he's a independant shop not tied to a big chain.

I looked at the LMC pipes too but they're too small. Like 2.25 i think. Maybe 2.5.

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea I'm being told I need 3" pipe for the BBC. You would think that in all of these off-road magazines there would be a place that sells complete exhaust kits for out trucks. Anyone, know of one? I definitely want to buy a mandrel bent kit. No need in going w/ 3" pipes if they are going to be shrunk down to 2" in the bends.

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya the LMC exhaust wouldn't compliment a healthy big block.

I think Flow Master makes at least cat back systems for our trucks :dunno:

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Flowmaster is very proud of their products too. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I want to run two pipes w/ two mufflers from the engine back. I definitely don't want to have to pay for two flowmasters.

12. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I think Summit Racing has a couple full kits with mandrel bends. I think they are 2.5" though. I had a local shop do mine recently.

13. Metrodps

I got your Jeep thing and now it burns when I pee!

At the risk of being an old fart. I feel that if the BB needed bigger pipes then back in the 70's they would of come from the factory that way. The 1979 C20 I had with a 454 in it only had 2.5" pipes. Unless you have so radically changed your motor most engines need some back presure.

Before you start pulling out flow test remember I said "most", not all engines. If you want the bang just run headers and straight pipes :rolleyes: or while your at it go with stainless steel pipes for it. All I am saying is it is your truck you decide what you want and do it. The key here was a good dual exhaust kit, preferably direct fit.

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

2.5" may be fine, if I can get a kit w/ a good fit then that works for me. I don't want LOUD I just want a good low rumble.

15. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

when I swap in the 572 I'm building I'll be running some drag style headers w/ 4" collectors into 3" pipe into a pair of spintech XL mufflers into 3.5" pipe after that.

16. Metrodps

I don't have digital video recorder or I would go out and record what mine sounds like. As best as I can describe the LMC system it has a lower level sound as far a db than stock Harley for the throaty level. I get looks when I get into mine with a hard foot.

I have paid more for exhaust and not been as happy. I priced the parts from Murray's Auto parts and was shocked! If you want a good sound that won't get you a ticket or draw attention to you then yes go with LMCs. By the way I have had a Harley *loud pipes save lives*, true race cars 1/4 mile use only and street toys with headers and all the jazz of the 70's *including Nitrous Oxide and I love my exhaust on my Blazer.

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well.... I'm spoiled.... Our local Meineke guy is amazing.... 10 time bender of the year awards and all that... and yes, he does mandrel bends... Very, very reasonable prices too...

I just sent a kid from work over there for exhaust on his Dakota.... He loved it, and the price.... Bought me lunch for turning him on to the place...

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a complete setup from Dynomax on my truck. it's 2.5" and mandrel bent. the kit only comes with pipe you need to buy the mufflers seperate. was about $150 couple years back.