Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Exhaust ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarine, Aug 18, 2002.

1. camarine

camarine Registered Member

I recently purchased a set of Dynomax headers and looking to run a dual exhaust on my 79 Jimmy. I am considering buying a Dynomax dual kit that exits out of the sides. Has anyone used this brand or what would you recommend? This will be my first time fooling with an exhaust system and is the anything I will need to be aware of? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any links or write ups would be appreciated as well......

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Nothing wrong with the Dynomax brand... lots of folks use them and like them just fine.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm in the market as well right now. Some of the things to consider regardless of which brand muffler are the size of the tubes and the effects of merging the sides. For a mild 350ci, running dual 2 1/4" pipes to the muffler then 2" pipes from the muffler to exit would be a good well rounded setup.

Food for thought:
    Exhaust swirls in a spiral fashion and begins to tumble with imperfections in the shape or length of the tubing. This tumbling builds backpressure as it passes through the system. A stock exhaust manifold may flow high but a good header will sequence the exhaust bursts to assist in an even exhaust swirl, and perform better. A secondary advantage to this is the scavenging effect which helps draw the exhaust from the opening valve as the previous valves exhaust passes through. Companies like Thorley have taken this a step further by sequencing both sides of the engine together with 2 into 1 collectors through a single 3" exhaust and found performance gains above dual exhaust. Just adding an H pipe or X pipe between a set of duals can increase scavenging and build a little more bottom end. A good muffler will help maintain that swirl while also tuning the harmonics. Making the final tube length smaller can increase velocity in some setups and help prevent exhaust tumbling.